Again on progress bar

Hi all.
First of all excuse for my bad English.
It’s my first post in this forum even if I’m a Scrivener user from always.

I’d like to return on the progress bar topic.
For me it’s not usefull in this way (please don’t kill me :stuck_out_tongue:PP)

I’m a fantasy novelist, and I the first thing I do with Scrivener is outlining.
I decide the story, timeline, etc, then I use Scrivener to write a first level of the plot (using folder). After that I begin a second level (always using folder) and only after this I begin to write effective scenes.
The first level are really macro arguments of the novel (sort of “parts”, or “acts”). The second it could be (usually I decide this later) the chapter level of the story, even if usually it’s the level in which I write the mail plot point.

And here start the problem.
I need to setup target BEFORE starting to write scenes.
Why is considered so strange to have a progress bar that work on “total word count” instead of “word count”? I really can’t use target on scenes, it’s a micromanagement that isn’t necessary (for me).

So what I’d like to have it’s that the progress bar that act in every folder level can use the total word count (which is the sum of underlying elements) instead of normal word count that’s always zero for each folder.
This is the only missing thing I’ve got on scrivener.

I only hope that there’s a way to do this that I haven’t understood.
Thanks in advance for every reply.

Giovanni

Have you tried Project>Show Project Targets? Unless I’ve misunderstood, this is exactly what you want. You can set a target total word count for the project there, and you can leave the project target window open while you write if you want to keep an eye of how things are going.

Hi Nicka :slight_smile: thanks for the quick reply.

Yes this is ok to keep a general eye.
But it’s not the way I work.
I plan and structure a lot before starting to write.
Planning and setting targets at chapter level it’s invaluable for me.
It’s pure outlining.

I work a lot during days and usually I’ve only small amount of time to write. So I write a small scene, or another, etc. Ususally I think a lot and then I write for “images”…

This is an example:
I want to write a small ebook about one of my created worlds.
It’s a short story of betrayal.
I have 4 places just defined.
3 characters for now.
So I start plan. 4 steps in the adventure, one for each place.
I need a book of 12k words.
So 1 folder of 2k for beginning.
2 folder of 3k each for central part.
1 fodler of 2k for last encounter
1 folder of 2k for ending.

I have a list of things that may happen in first place…
I select them, then I choose the flow and then
I start writing small chunk of plot point (my scenes)
A sort of top down structure.

:slight_smile: this is why I need to plan targets and why I need them at folder level.
I don’t need and I don’t want target at scene level.

Hey, this is not right or bad. it’s only the way I write.
thanks.

Giovanni

So I did misunderstand.

You can set targets at folder level, at least if you use Scrivenings mode to look at the folder. E.g. to set up a folder with a target of 1000 words in total, across subdocuments, do this: Set the target for a text document at 1000. Create other text documents that are dependent on it in the Binder hierarchy. Click on the main text document, then select Scrivenings mode. You will see a total word count on the footer bar for the containing document and all the subsidiary ones, measured against the goal you set.

I hope I have understood what you are after this time.

mmm

In effect, with scrivener you can do all you want in some way.

At this point, I think it’s only a mine problem, but I really can’t understood why a structured and power tool like the outliner doesn’t have a corrisponding structured way to show things.
The informations are all there: total word count at folder level, possibility to add target to folder.
But we can’t see them on the progressbar.
I can’t understand why. If it’s a folder show bar for total words, if it’s a document show the same bar for document words. To me it’s really so simple.

But sure I haven’t understood something.

Thanks a lot for your time Nicka :slight_smile:

Have a nice day.

Giovanni

I’m obviously still not understanding, because the technique I described does give you a progress bar for a folder or a text file containing other text files. Is the remaining wish to be able to access this information in the outliner?

yes exactly.

For me the power feature of Scrivener it’s the outliner.
Can’t find a way to like the behaviour of that progress bar.
It’s like having a big white cake without the cherry :stuck_out_tongue:P

Sorry but I’m writing English thinking in italian :stuck_out_tongue:P
ahhahaahah

ciao!

Giovanni

Just enable the “Total Word Count” column in the outliner, which shows the word count of the folder’s contents.
Best,
Keith