'Alias' for Binder items?

I’m not sure if this is a question or a suggestion, but I have over 300+ items in my Scrivener Binder, and I am wondering if there exists a feature in Scrivener where I can create an Alias of sorts for a Binder item.

I have a Binder item that resides toward the END of my compiled document that I frequently refer to as a reference. So I often need to scroll down to the bottom of my Binder to access the reference, shifting my focus away from the current document item I am working on.

Ideally, clicking on such an Alias would open the actual document in the Binder (which in my case exists toward the end of my document) for viewing (not necessarily editing) without changing the position of the cursor within the Binder. As my working focus shifts to other parts of my document in the Binder, I’d also be able to relocate the Alias close to the particular document item I am currently working on as a way of avoiding any unnecessary distraction.

I don’t know if others experience writing the way I do, but I have a tendency to be distracted. As a small way of streamlining my thought process while working within the Binder, an Alias (or similar feature) would help me to keep my thought process on track with a minimum of distraction.

Thank you,
scrive
:slight_smile:

This is what Bookmarks are for.

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

My apologies if I have overlooked or misunderstand a Scrivener feature that already exists.

Bookmarks are a wonderful way to create a quick link to any item in the Binder, but is there a way to create a SINGLE Bookmark, accessible from within ANY item in the Binder, that points to a particular item in the Binder.

I realize that I could create 300+Bookmarks, one in each of my 300+ items in my Binder, to access the reference that is located at the end of my document in question, but that seems like a bit of overhead (and overkill) in order to have quick access to the item in question?

I realize I can also use “View in Copyholder” to keep a copy of the item I’d like to reference open while I scroll around between different items in the Binder, but I work on a laptop that has limited screen real estate and I don’t always need to have the item open for reference, taking up valuable screen space for information I don’t always need.

Thank you,
scrive

Hello.

If you create a project (not a document) bookmark and leave it open in the inspector, it will be available to you at all times. Does that do what you want? Have I misunderstood?

Merx

[attachment=0]ProjectBookmark.png[/attachment]

Hi Merx,

The project Bookmarks look like they fit the bill …

Thank you for pointing out this feature! I’ve used Bookmarks to save URL’s, but not to link to Binder items, and I was unaware of the Project Bookmark feature.

Thank you,
scrive
:smiley:

Hello, scrive.

Welcome. Indeed, you can just drag and drop a binder item into the project bookmark area and you’re done.

Hope it all works as you need it to.

Merx

Hi Merx,

The “Open as Quick Reference” feature that is available with Project Bookmarks is more in line with what I was looking for with the Alias feature.

The “Open as Quick Reference” feature opens a separate window that I can easily close without moving from the position of the highlighted item in the Binder. Also, if I need to, the same feature allows me to clip code from (or even edit code in) the referenced item as needed.

Thank you again,
scrive

Update: Using the “Open as Quick Reference” feature with the Project Bookmarks option has prompted me to re-think how I’ve organized my Binder to begin with - Thank you again!!

I prefer v3’s interface to v1.9’s, but it’s the new features like Quick Ref and Project Bookmarks , and to a lesser extent Copyholder, that have most positively impacted my day to day working methods.

Yes, this is what I had in mind.

Also note that you can display the Project Bookmarks as a sidebar to a Quick Reference pane, thereby giving you a miniature sub-Binder for frequently referenced materials. (Click the Bookmark icon at the bottom left of the Quick Reference window.)

Katherine

To JimRac & Katherine,

This may take some time to sink in fully, but using “Project Bookmarks as a sidebar to a Quick Reference pane” is a NEAT trick indeed! (The trick is clicking on the Bookmark icon at the bottom left of the Quick Reference window!)

I’ve already started reorganizing my Binder … there is a degree of freedom here I had NO idea existed!!

Thank you,
scrive
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

For extra bonus coolness, a Quick Reference pane can also show Inspector information for the document. See the dropdown menu at the top right.

Katherine

1 Like

Hi Katherine,

I see the dropdown menu in the top right corner of the Quick Reference pane … very cool … it may take me some time to digest all the new degrees of freedom that the Quick Reference pane supports.

Kudos to the Scrivener developer!

Thank you,
scrive
:smiley: