Allow Moving Text Across Documents Using Drag and Drop

I have been looking for the easiest way to cut and paste text across documents, but it seems that the only way I can do this is by highlighting the text and dragging it to another document in the binder pane. Looking at the what happens when I drag and drop text to another document:

1. From editor to another editor (e.g., in double editor split) - Text is copied and pasted, not cut and pasted.
  2. Dragging from editor to the text/folder where the text is in (in Outline, Corkboard, and Scrivenings mode) - Document with text is created (which creates another document rather than pasting it in the selected document)
  3. Dragging selected text to another document in Binder - cuts the selected text to the other document.

Are there any additional ways to easily cut and paste the selected text across documents? Currently, I use the drag and drop to binder document method or the select text, cut, go to other editor, paste method. When dragging and drop, I find that cutting and pasting is more applicable than copying and pasting most of the time.

For large chunks, I use the Document → Split/Merge commands.

• Put cursor at beginning of chunk to be moved, use Document → Split command.
  • Put cursor at end of chunk, use Document → Split again.
  • Make a third split at the destination.
  • Use Binder to drag the desired chunk between Part A and Part B of the destination.
  • If desired, Document → Merge to glue the pieces back together.
1 Like

Note that you can use ALT + drag to reverse the behavior.
Copy/Paste where and when it would Cut/Paste.
And the other way around too. (I think.)

Should work for your point 1 and 3.
For 2: I don’t know.

The root behavior is set in the options.

I know there are some inconsistencies here and there.
I stopped using drag a good while back. I now systematically go by Ctrl-C or X, → Ctrl-V , and no longer have to question what will happen.
(And I am not a bit less happy for doing it this way.)

1 Like

My current set up is a document with many short unorganized notes with a Wikilink at the end of the note. For example, I have a document with the following notes:

• "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. [[Research]]
  • Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. [[Notes]]
  • Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum." [[Scene]]

I mainly use the document as a thought dump as it would be faster than to go to the desired document each time. I put the Wikilink at the end to allow me to click to the Wikilink, open it in another editor and quickly cut and paste the text there. I also have selections of short unorganized text in various documents throughout the project.

Currently, the putting the Wikilink at the end of each note is effective minus the inability to drag and paste the text quickly. Sometimes, I do use a macro where I select the paragraph and cut it so I do not have to click the paragraph three times and press Ctrl + X, but I was wondering if there was any more efficient way to do it (seeing that drag and drop would be quicker than cutting and then clicking to the other document and pasting).

I did try the Alt + Drag to reverse the behavior. It doesn’t seem to work on my end. Mostly, my current use for the drag and drop is to quickly organize small chunks of text across documents so the duplicates is not particularly useful.

I also found that it seems that you cannot drag and drop text into the bookmark project title icon (where you can into the bookmark document editor.

Perhaps I got it wrong and it only works to create duplicates where it normally wouldn’t.
As I said, it has been a while, and since the behavior is inconsistent (some specific situations) depending on the where from and the to, I can’t accurately recall.
Will test from editor to editor and see when I go back to my computer.

[EDIT] Forget it. I don’t know where I got that idea from… I just tested it and I can’t get it to work.
Sorry about that.

1 Like

If it were me, I’d give each “short unorganized text” its own document when created. I’d have folders for each of the macro categories (Research/Notes/Scene), and either create the new texts directly in the appropriate folders or create them in an “Inbox” folder and use drag and drop to redistribute at regular intervals.

Moving documents within a Scrivener project is almost always faster than moving text, once you get past the overhead of creating the document.

1 Like