Alternate page formats

Question: If I want to format alternate pages differently (rectos with wide right margins, versos with wide left margins, so I can print book formats on 8.5x11 paper), where are the settings in compile?

Thanks

John Pearce

Under “Page Settings” (“Facing Pages”). Currently these options are only available for PDF and Printing, but the latest beta makes this available for RTF export too:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1

All the best,
Keith

Found it, and thanks.

Is there a way to set print or PDF output so a new chapter always begins on an odd-numbered page, even if a blank page is required?

For PDF and Print only, yes - for RTF and other formats you would have to sort that out in an external word processor.

To do it for PDF and Print, you have to set this up in the “Formatting” pane (because this is set up by document type - you might want top-level folders representing parts always to start on a recto page, but sub-level folders representing chapters to start on any odd- or even-numbered pages). Go to “Formatting”, pick the level/type you want to apply this rule to, click on “Section Layout” and you’ll find the options under the “First Page” tab there:

Note that this is in the latest betas only, not 2.2, so you will need to download the beta from the beta thread linked in my previous post to get access to this feature.

(“Start next section on” is useful if you have parts and chapters, and you have a page on its own saying “Part One” or whatever, in which case you would want that on a recto page and the following chapter starting on a recto page, even if chapters can otherwise start on either recto or verso pages.)

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

This works extremely well, and just in time for me.

Is there a way to suppress the header and footer if a blank page is created before a new chapter?

Thanks

John Pearce
Sarasota, FL

Yep, those settings are under “Header and Footer” back in the “Page Settings” pane, as they are general:

(Settings pertaining to individual document types or structural levels are applied in the “Formatting” pane, whereas global page settings are set in “Page Settings”).

You’ll want to tick “No header or footer on single pages”.

“No header on first page and pages following page breaks” is also a nice option for printed books, as in many books the first page of a new chapter has a footer but no header.

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

All of that is working fine, but there’s a new wrinkle.

Today, when I print a draft, the top half of the header on rectos only is cut off.

I am set up for facing-page formatting.

That sounds like a problem with your printer. Go into page setup (either by clicking on the button in the “Page Settings” area of Compile if “Use project Page Setup settings” is not ticked there, or by going to File > Page Setup if it is.

Then, go to “Manage Custom Paper Sizes…” under “Paper Size”. There, you will find a “Non-Printable Area” control. Make sure the correct printer is selected there. It should be already, and if so, then it sounds as though your printer is not setting the correct non-printable area. In that case, choose “User Defined” and experiment with the “Top Setting” (try something like 4mm to begin with if it’s set to something less than that, then increase from there).

Scrivener respects this printable area, but it can only go by the settings passed to it by the printer.

All the best,
Keith