Alternate paragraphs

Snapshots allow to compare two versions of a same document. A very interesting tool !

But I’d like to see in Scrivener an alternative way to keep track of text modifications :

Final Draft 10 has a feature called ‘Alternate dialogue’ that allows to store within the same document as many variants of a given dialogue as you wish : youtube.com/watch?v=rnblY3i1j-o

If Scrivener could store, in the same way, several versions of each paragraph (or block of text) in the same document, you could easily switch from one to another, by say clicking on a button, till the final stage of writing and fluently read your draft and quickly pick up pre-written versions of each paragraph. Btw those versions could obviously be modified at any moment.

Just an idea. Hope I made myself clear. Thx for reading.

Simple … put each alternative in a sequence of separate binder documents; they can all be viewed in a scrivenings session and when it comes to compile only the one you finally go for can be marked for inclusion in the compile process. Would that not do what you want?

Mark

Thx for your reply. :slight_smile:

Let me rephrase what I meant.

Scrivenings are indeed made to put together parts of texts. Very useful to move, add, remove (…) a paragraph or a longer part of a text.

But the interesting part of a feature like that of Final Draft is the quickness of writing and switching from one version of a very small part of a text to another while reading/rewriting your draft.

When I speak of ‘small parts of text’, I think of :

• a single dialogue and the related action of a protagonist
  • 2-5 lines (dialogue)
  • the reformulation of a couple of sentences describing this or that…

I might appear to you as a lunatic, but I like writing and then comparing say 2, 3, 4 versions of a single dialogue. :smiley:
And generally I end up with that on one document :

[size=85]Blah, blah…
He runs to the door.
v. 1
‘Get out’ He shouted.
v. 2
‘Never come back’ Steve yelled at her.
And he left.
b[/b]
Blah, blah…
[/size]

Eventually I delete the dismissed version(s) or put them in a comment.

In that case of very small bits of text, using scrivenings seems to me quite tedious (and slow) in a long text.

IMHO it’d be nice to be able to click on a button to read in turns :

[size=85]Blah, blah…
He runs to the door.
‘Get out’ He shouted.
Blah, blah…
[/size]

or

[size=85]Blah, blah…
He runs to the door.
‘Never come back’ Steve yelled at her.
And he left.
Blah, blah…
[/size]

I think Screenings and ‘alternate paragraphs/sentences’ (or whatever you name them) might be complementary, the former for longer texts, the latter for shorter ones.

But I might miss something.

I’d be interested in hearing if Scrivener 3 is going to have something closer to Track Changes. Working on a team, I’m really tempted to use Scrivener with my tech writing projects for its delightful combo of project management, organization, and writing, except that tracking and accepting individual changes can be a much bigger pain in Scrivener than Word (hence why our publishing team rejected it). Without that option, it makes it a tougher sell to the team.

I’m glad styles work now, because that was a big deal breaker for importing to InDesign. My question is of course, is there going to be better version tracking in Scrivener 3?