Alternating colors?

I’ve had a great time changing the colors everywhere and making the text so much easier on the eyes. But when I changed the color of the Alternate Scrivenings from light and dark gray to another color, it gives me one color, no longer giving me an alternating light and darker color. Is there something I’m missing?

Edit: I also need to ask how to select more than one chapter in the Binder so I can do an ‘Edit Scrivenings’. I didn’t see that function on the Shortcuts list.

I’m not quite sure I follow what your problem is, but it sounds like you might have the editor background and alternate scrivenings background set to the same thing. Make sure these are both different in order to get differentiation between them.

When you say you want to select multiple chapters and edit them, what is a chapter? Is it a folder with a bunch of smaller items in it? A single text document with the entire chapter? If you are selecting arbitrary items in the Binder, you’ll be using the Selection mode, which is literal, not implied. In other words it only assembles what you have literally selected, not the children of those selections. So if your chapters are folders full of files and you are just selecting the folders, it won’t work. You’ll need to expand the folders and select everything in both of them.

I need to know ‘how’ to select more than one thing. I’ve tried Ctrl+click, Opt+click, Cmd+click, and Shift+click on the first and subsequent items, and I can’t select more than one thing, meaning a file I guess. Selecting one thing is easy, I just click on it, but how do I keep it highlighted while I click on another so I don’t have to do them all one at a time. It’s like selecting 10 emails all at once to delete them (Click first item, then Shift-click on last item), instead of clicking and deleting one at a time. How do I select ‘more than’ one?

I don’t have my Mac in front of me, but I have always found selecting multiple binder items to be completely natural.

Which means it must follow the Mac standard, which allows:
Shift-Click - to select everything between last selection and this one
Cmd-Click - to add the new item to the selected items

and quite possibly dragging over the items to select them with the mouse, if that can be done in a way that doesn’t move them.

I will double check all of this when I get my Mac in front of me again.

Drag-click doesn’t work in Scrivener, that just accesses the ability to move an item from one place to another.

Matt has the right keys, and you say you’ve tried them all. Unless something is seriously malfunctional with your computer, I’m not sure what to tell you. Are you actually holding the modifier keys down while clicking? Or just pressing them once and then clicking? I don’t know. You can also use Shift-UpArrow and DownArrow to select ranges.

Thank you! Yes, these commands now work:

Shift-Click - to select everything between last selection and this one
Cmd-Click - to add the new item to the selected items

P.S. I swear Shift-Click was not working the other day. I wouldn’t lietaya! Thanks!

This is SO good to know when doing an “Edit Scrivenings” and you don’t want to wade thru the whole document there!

Amber, you said, “I’m not quite sure I follow what your problem is, but it sounds like you might have the editor background and alternate scrivenings background set to the same thing. Make sure these are both different in order to get differentiation between them.”

It was only when I put different colors or shades of colors in the “Text Background” and “Alternate scrivenings” that I now can get 2 shades of the color in Edit Scrivenings. Changing what you called the “editor background” didn’t give me 2 shades or different colors in the Edit scrivenings mode. What is the “editor background” and how do I test it as far as changing its color is concerned?

You are right, I typed it in wrong. Keeping Text background and Alternate scrivenings distinct are the only two settings that should impact whether or not you get a “zebra effect”. Editor background is something different—if you have “Fixed Width” turned on in the General section, the editor will not resize to fit the window, but rather stop at a determined point you specify. This preference sets what Scrivener will draw back there behind the “paper”.

Thanks for the clarification. I really liked the light and dark gray contrast in Edit Scrivenings but I’d rather use a beige color for my text background because its warmer. I wonder how hard it would be for ‘the powers that be’ to make that possible… :slight_smile: I’ll just try light/dark beige in Edit Scrivenings for now.

Can the two editors (whether vertical or horizontal) have different background colors?

Or, alternatively, can the header bars in the two editors have different background colors? Looked through forums etc. and can’t find it. But it may be there?

Thanks.

Hi,

No, they can’t. In 2.0 the active editor will have a blue-ish header though so that it is not only the underline that lets you know it is active.

All the best,
Keith

Great. That’ll make it easier. Thanks.

I’m happy to hear that, too. Long ago I asked for the option to make the two panes different colors, but Keith explained how hard that would be. I figured I would just eventually learn to click in the right place. Sadly, it hasn’t happened yet and the prospects look bleak. Glad to hear a crutch will be provided for us absent minded Scriveners.