Alternating Row Colors in Outliner?

Is this possible? The rows in the outliner kind of blend together. There is no horizontal rule between items and there is no alternating background color for each row. Is there an option to set this (it won’t be the first time I’ve overlooked a setting)? Or is thing something I should add to the Wish List forum?

Thanks in advance.

There is no setting for this, I’m afraid. As of 1.01 you can choose a different background colour for the outliner (not sure how I missed that), but not alternating row colours. The reason for this is that it can look rather ugly given that the rows can all be different heights (because of the wrapping synopses). Alternating rows are only ever used in views that have uniform row heights, to my knowledge.

However, if you really, really want it and don’t mind getting your hands dirty, you can hack it. If you install the developer tools from your Tiger DVD, then use Interface Builder to open up DocumentView.nib inside the Scrivener.app package, you should be able to find the outliner view, select it, check “Use Alternating Row Colors” in the inspector, and then save the .nib. You will then have alternating row colours… :slight_smile:

Best,
Keith

Thanks Keith. It’s certainly not a make or break feature, but I thought I’d check an see. I can also see how with the non-uniform row height, it might look weird, but it might be something to explore just to clean up the outliner view.

Anyway, keep up the great work. Love the app!

Ha! I’m looking at some right now - on this very page.
In my forum settings at least the posts have alternating shades of blue.

That said, I’m not wild about alternating row colors in any case; just thought it was worth pointing out. :laughing:

E

Pedantic c**sucker. I meant, specifically, in Cocoa applications - I doubt the HIG would approve of such things (were it up to date).

Best,
Keith

• Just a quick note to the casual reader: I do not normally go about insulting my users, but Eiron is aware that this particular insult is entirely his own doing for recommending Deadwood to me, as immersion in the first series has not done much for my tongue.