Am I going crackers? or maybe a request... (binder related)

Under Edit > Sort

Am I imagining that in the older version of scrivener there used to be a random sort as well as the ascending/descending options?

Couldn’t find anything online about it, so maybe I’m dreaming of something I’m missing and would find useful.

It’s an edge case I suppose, but would be handy for certain serendipitous idea generation tasks within a folder.

In my view “random” is the opposite of sorting.

In some case, clicking a column header for a third time will order a list in its natural order, mostly the order in which the items were entered in the list.

1 Like

Haha, that’s quite true isn’t it, AntoniDol, and not just a semantic view either, quite an important observation.

I’ve just looked at the column headers and can see it has some value. Not exactly what I was thinking, but thank you for your reply.

Sometimes I use Scrivener for a kind of prompt or “bottom-up” idea generation within a folder of many disparate thoughts, materials and references, where those thoughts are quite molecular and there’s a single file for each thought - rather than just storing thoughts in folders, they are working notes if you will.

I guess, “unsort” would be what I was looking for, although I can do this manually in scrivener, kind of like you would with physical index cards in front of you, make a bit of a mess and then piece together an idea or concept from many molecular thoughts with intent, or serendipity if I feel inclined.

I have written external scripts that pseudo randomly pair two or more of those thoughts together and output a new file which contains something to think over and see what dots I can connect with them but this is another process entirely.

What I thought of was to pseudo randomise the contents of a folder and as you “walk” through the folder of disparate thoughts without leaving the writing environment, you start making connections you may never have made if everything was in a linear order, making it quicker to synthesise ideas on the fly

Somehow I thought I had done this before, maybe in the older versions of Scriv, but like I say maybe its wishful thinking on my part.

I know it’s not the main use case for a program like this, although I use scrivener for much more than just linear, writing work, I love it, it’s almost like an extension of my brain.

There is the free-form corkboard view of any given folder, which starts out with the cards in a sort of jumble. That might be a good start, and allows you to just grab them and move them around “at random” without much thought before reviewing them.

2 Likes

Oh my, is there?

Most helpful Rdale.

Thank you will look into this the next time I’m in my study.

Not at all. I often wish I could sort random in Finder, because it would give me a random sample of any size at the top of a list of files.

1 Like

But it wouldn’t be Sorting, would it? It would be Randomizing a collection of items.

1 Like

It’s an operation that changes order – a sort. In Mathematica (and other programming languages), where I can sort by any field or function, I use Random[].

1 Like

Programmatically I guess it is a sort.

Thank you AmberV for “sorting” this into the right section. Funnily enough I have a quote of yours saved in my reference system from you from about 12 years ago. The quote was about transcribing something with a keyboard involving a different set of brain functions than longhand written notes, distraction, and conscious awareness.

To be direct, I guess what I was after, would be

Edit > Sort > Shuffle