Americans: do you doddle?

A quick question for our friends across the Pond: do you know what “doddle” means? (No cheating - don’t look it up and then say yes :slight_smile: ).

I ask purely because I was going to use the silly but catchy “Scapple’s a doddle” on our product page, but upon noticing that Dictionary didn’t recognise the word, looked it up and found that it’s British slang. Obviously there’s no point using it if a huge chunk of our potential user base is just going to scratch their heads. So, a quick show of hands would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Keith

Kev,
Just googled cinch
thefreedictionary.com/cinch

See half way down the page…Thesaurus. :wink:

Keith – I think you have the wrong approach. I think we should use as much British slang as we possibly can. It’s an excellent opportunity to educate…

Toodle-pip,
Martin.

PS: you obviously haven’t seen the advert with Jennifer Aniston hyped up on caffeine.

I’ve had that bloody Mary Poppins on the line again. Says I’ve got to pass on her entry for the Sell Scapple to Merkins Using British Slang competition. She also says not to let sodding Dick Van Dyke anywhere near the slogan if you want to be convincing….

[i]When trying to express oneself, it’s frankly really crap
To scour the Net or Apple Store to find the perfect app
A little ingenuity will make your money count
So buy the latest mind map app from Scrivener’s Keith Blount

Super Scapple tops the list for buyers perspicacious
Avoid all other mind-map apps you’ll find them too rapacious
And Scapple’s users are renowned for being kind and gracious
Super Scapple tops the list for buyers perspicacious.[/i]

When Americans doddle, it means we (to pillage a song) fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. as in, “Them kids keep doddling over their chores, moan WHUP 'em.”

As someone once said, the British and the Americans are two people separated by a common language.

Consider: Scrivener is PANTS – totally cool and a bit naughty knickers in England, totally granddad’s trousers in America.

Ahab, “it’s pants” in BrE now means “it’s complete rubbish”, so we’d better not use that slogan!

Genius! Are you available for hire to sing the jingle? (In Dick Van Dyke voice, of course.)

Mmm – the surname “Blount” is usually pronounced to rhyme with “blunt” … But we know that Keith defies convention :wink:

Damned good ditty, though.

Martin.

I just had a thought – that isn’t an American pronunciation of “dawdle” by any chance?

M.

Oh a doddle is a diddle in any other terms,
And a fiddle can faddle the brightest firms.
Fear not confusing Yanks with UK slang,
If our culture is rude, a noisome gang,

We still know the diff between a cinch,
A breeze, easy as pie, a tiny pinch,
Kid’s stuff, no sweat, duck soup, a rocker,
While Brits confuse football with soccer.

:mrgreen:

Just say Scapple is sho-nuff.

Pfft. You’re talking about that winsome singer James Blount who changed his name to “Blunt” so as not to confuse people. It’s only ever pronounced “Blunt” by people who can’t read. :slight_smile: (Actually, I usually get “Blant”, “Blont”, “Bland” and “Bloont”…)

Brookter’s pronunciation is correct. Of course, I do come from an area of Britain that says “Mom” instead of “Mum” or “Mam”…

Maybe by the same region of America that can’t pronounce the difference between dawn and don. :slight_smile:

Yep, but I grew up watching Doctor Who, Monty Python, the Two Ronnies, and Dave Allen at Large. (Hey, they were all on before Doctor Who, late on Sunday nights on WTTW.)

What makes no sense to me is “bollocks” is bad, but “dog’s bollocks” is good. (A friend from Ireland was amazed that you can say “bollocks” on TV here, yet not “asshole.”) It’s like out here “pisser” (Pronounced “pissah”) is oftentimes a sarcastic “just wonderful,” yet “wicked pissah” is awesome.

Over there you ask for a fag you get a smoke.

Over here you ask for a fag you might get a response not expected.

Most Americans would not know what doddle is. Like may foreigners might not understand this:

"That app is so sick and phat I might have ta run up da skreet and give that fool my digits so he can gives me a shout laterz then I can make paper and buy them new dubs on the 64 so I can ride low and slow and avoid the po-po whilst I keep this little pigeon on the DL. "

Slang is slang and is usually geared towards a certain market. Most marketing tends to avoid slang for that very reason. Also from the consumers point of view when a company uses slang it tends to pigeon hole them into a niche market. Use the wrong slang and you end up looking lame in the very market your trying to corner. Kind of like an old white hillbilly such as myself trying to qwerk in a raunchy booty shaking club in the bronx on a Friday night. It becomes a sad comedy.

On this side of the puddle we would probably use pushover or child’s play.

:slight_smile:

Here is a guide to how Americans usually think:

I’d have definitely been scratching my noggin on that one.

As a Canadian who has spent years in America, I can attest to the accuracy of Wock’s map graphic, although he did leave out a small area of Uninhabited known as Maple Syrup Guzzlers.