AMERICANS! Please help...

Here in the Puget Sound region of Washington state, the Honeycrisp variety is fairly popular as the go-to “eating” apple. Nobody eats Red Delicious because they may be red, but they’re not delicious – they’re bland and mealy.

My audiobooks are set in Glasgow and have a fair amount of local dialigue and phrases. The publisher is American and my first fans American…one of them a hairy biker from Texas. Stck to your guns. After all, US authors and publishers don’t translate for us.

I’m a favorite of “granny smith”. both in usefulness as well as “who the heck was she”?

The apple shed (theappleshed.com/) are/were personal friends of the family who we saw a couple times a week when I was an official Yankee. They are a major supplier to Motts, Senca and a large number of major juice/product producers. They supply “direct to public” varities which are listed on their site. They also were the first to publicly sell the Cornell University developed NY702 (may or may not have been part of the development). I recommend visiting there variety page to see all the things that are grown for commercial profit.

The most popular (ones I have to reserve) are honey crisp, 20oz, granny smith, fuji, jonagold, and snap dragon.

[size=75]Hmmm… I led a slightly more interesting life in the north based on this retrospective…[/size]

Australian apples (my favourites…the fuji or the gala).

But for the “whoa, that’s out there!” brigade, I give you the Australian Bloodwood apple where you eat the grub inside it.

And Granny Smith’s original orchard (now a thriving suburb with barely any gardens, let alone orchards) was near my childhood home (Eastwood, NSW Australia).

Thanks all for the very helpful input! Nice to know there are some fantastic names out there I can use, and it sounds like, for recognition purposes, and major plot points involving apples should use Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, or the mighty Granny Smith!

Thanks!

According to Foodland Ontario, the most popular varieties around here are:

McIntosh, a deep red color with a green background.
Red Delicious, deep red, elongated shaped and five bumps on bottom.
Empire, dark red, blush with a splash of yellow or green.
Idared, bright red with greenish-yellow patches.
Crispin (or Mutsu), greenish-yellow exterior with an orange blush.
Golden Delicious, yellow or greenish-yellow exterior, elongated shape, five bumps on bottom.
Spartan, dark red skin.
Cortland, bright red with yellow cheek.
Northern Spy, red-striped skin with green color. Northern Spy is the number 1 baking apple.

Here’s the list of the cultivars maintained in the Ontario Heritage Orchard mentioned at the above link: plant.uoguelph.ca/people-an … ge-orchard

Side note: Mind blown that there’s a Quinte apple. I lived briefly in that area and had no idea. Apparently I should have stopped at the Big Apple stand beside the highway to buy a pie or something.

And while I’m at it, here’s a resource from a heritage apple nursery in B.C.
denmanapple.ca/apples/apples.php

Heh. From Washington state, and I think we grow everything here. Galas, Red Delicious, Jonathans, Granny smiths, Golden Delicious, Pippins, Honeycrisps (those are at the stores). There’s an antique apple orchard in one of our local parks with several dozen varieties from the late 1800’s, too. I wouldn’t say they’re common varieties, but Wealthy, King, Gravenstein, Dutch Mignone, Red Astrachan, Rhode Island Greening, Bietigheimer, and Esopus Spitzenburg are the most common in that orchard (Piper’s orchard, there’s a wikipedia entry for it).

[size=150]Americans, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders! I once again need your help!! [/size]
(Yes, I know this means I’m admitting to still working on the same book seven and a half years later)

So…

In the UK we had a public campaign to get an increasingly overweight and fast-food dependent nation eating a few more healthy things with vitamins in them. Essentially people were told that they should be eating at least five portions of fruit and veg each day. It was the ‘five-a-day’ campaign, and is a well enough known slogan over here that an individual could drink a bottle of Sol or Corona beer with a little wedge of lime stuck in the neck and claim to much merryment that this was ‘one of their five-a-day’. Everyone would smile and chuckle at such a tired and obvious joke, but they’d get it.

So, my question is… did / does your countries have similar campaigns? What were they called? Are they similar enough that a passing reference to someone getting one of their five a day – with no context, not even a vague mention of food or health let alone vegetable of fruit – would at least put your mind in the right ball park as to meaning?

Behold! The Food Pyramid!

Humorous remakes: memebase.cheezburger.com/tag/food-pyramid

The original: safefood.net/healthy-eating/guidelines

Non-humorous critique: thewell.northwell.edu/well-info … d-politics

Katherine

That is helpful for the task at hand, taught me something, and made me chuckle!

Thanks!! :smiley:

Hello!

One more question… do people outside of the UK know what a “carrier bag” is?

It is not a laxative.
Of that I’m pretty certain.

[EDIT] I do now, but up until this very moment I thought it to be something else than what Google says it is.
(As a French-Canadian I probably don’t count anyways…) :wink:

1 Like

Don’t be silly. Everybody knows that. Where else would the Navy put those carriers?

1 Like

But, but… If you put the carrier in the bag? who then carries the bag?

1 Like

Well… Career soldiers? :thinking:

This is likely just another of @pigfender’s jokes.
There is no such thing as a “carrier bag”.
It’s just one of those “fold the reality onto itself” kind of questions.

One day this guy is gonna blow up the Universe…

3 Likes

I figured if horse pockets are a thing, it’s basically the same concept. Just a little bigger.

1 Like

Right. I see. You may be right.
Like shopping bags, air bags and douche bags.

P.S. That is what I really like about this forum. Everyday there is something new to learn.
Everyday smarter than the next. :+1:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Excellent. That answers the question!
Quick follow up: Would the phrase “cheap plastic carrier bag” have been obvious enough to conjure up an image?

~~
Oh, and as an aside… due to the overwhelming success of “AMERICANS!”, I’ve launched an exciting spin off series, “PARENTS! Please help…”. Go check it out!

2 Likes