Annotating "Append selection..." clippings

Append Selection to Document… is a great and wonderful feature. I don’t know any other app. that has it; heaven knows why because winnowing is clipping in reverse: the other end of the research process.

BUT… it would be even more wonderful if I could annotate the bits. NoteTaker has a splendid ability to annotate clippings, so you can snag something, mark it “Useful quote about salmon”, and then send it on its way so there’s no trouble remembering why you snagged it. You can also, at the same time, snag the URL, but that’s a different story. (It doesn’t have to be about salmon. It can be about other stuff as well. Or instead of.)

If that were impossible, it would at least be handy to have an automatic separator between appended sections, as one does with clippings currently. I mean a custom one; I’d use === myself, except you can’t get into the existing custom clippings separator either.)

See, I want it all. (And I want it delivered.)

Okay, either I’m going completely mad or I just posted a reply to this, only it was in the Feedback forum and that post seems to have disappeared… Hmm. Anyway, my reply went something like this:

I could probably add a separator preference. I won’t install NoteTaker because last time I did it messed around with my contextual menus (which is probably some hideous double entendre in Geekdom), but I don’t know how marking the text would work, so you if you could explain how you would see this working, that would be useful.

Also, I said, yes you can enter return into the clippings separator preference text box. Just hold Option to enter return characters, as you do in such controls.

My other reply was, of course, much more brilliant, both in scope and tone, but now it is lost to the ether for eternity.

Best,
Keith

What ho, Keith. I imagine you posted your reply just at the very moment I thought “No, this belongs in the WishList forum” and moved it. For a brief moment the spacetime continuum blinked out… can a continuum blink out?.. or maybe it’s time for bed.

Annotate:

(1) Select your stuff. A bit which says “Yadda yadda blah blah blah pakapaka feh,” say.

(2) Hit the CM for whichever type of clipping you’re using (add new, or append).

(3) Little window pops up. “Annotate clipping?” and a text box. In it, you type your annotation. E.g. “Quote from wizards.com”. Hit OK.

(4) Clipping appears in Scrivener, in new text doc or appended to current text doc, according to choice.

–(a) if new text doc, the Title is set to “Quote from wizards.com” and the text AND autosynopsis are set to “Yadda yadda blah blah blah pakapaka feh”.

– (b) if appended to current text doc, it appears as:

=== [or whatever your separator is]
Quote from wizards. com
Yadda yadda blah blah blah pakapaka feh

Does that make sense?

If of course there is no text in the Annotate? box, then clipping behaviour defaults to precisely what it is currently.

One more thing – halfway house, perhaps: When clipping to a new text document, it might be handy to set the title of the new document as the first n characters of the clipping rather than the current Clipping [date] title, which doesn’t tell one a great deal.

One more more thing: behaviour in 4(b) above would be pretty damn cool when Appending selection to… from within Scrivener.

Gosh I’m demanding. Now I want a glass of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum with honey and hot lemon, and can you bring me that copy of The Journal of Dora Damage and, while you’re at it, Blount, do something about that dashed cat, it’s getting on my nerves. Then you may retire for the night. My regards to Mrs Blount, Blount, and for God’s sake don’t forget to iron The bloody[/i] Times[/i] tomorrow.

P.S. The wizards.com thing is real but I would like to make it clear that I am NOT a D&D fan, it’s just that I am writing a piece for the Independent seeing as how Mr Gravadlax or whatever his name was – beard, glasses, invented Dungeons and Dragons and made a billion bucks from it – failed to throw a 20 and croaked yesterday.

It’s all right, Michael, you’re among friends. You can show us your character sheet, and we won’t laugh.

You don’t lure me Out like that, Johnston. I’ve read your stuff.

M`sieur Michael

Neither tell, nor show that man any thing!! Just look at his avatar!! Would you buy a used car or second hand MacBook off him. And look how shifty his expression is and how close together his eyes are.

No good can come from getting involved with a man who bakes fairy cakes and is engaged to an ex SAS trooper!! Mere D`Lucifer
Le D :smiling_imp:

(In all seriousness, like thousands of others around the world, it’s very possible I wouldn’t be a writer today if not for Gygax and D&D kicking it all off. I was gutted when I heard the news.)