Another eureka!

I think this is one of the fun parts of having Scrivener…all the new little discoveries one makes, no matter where we find them. The latest for me is the Ctrl-L feature after highlighting. When I’m working on a chapter in my Binder, I can type something like the word… Note … and highlight it and click Ctrl+L

The screen then splits and I get a large Note area above. I can put lots of notes in there. So whenever I’m working on that particular chapter and I see the now-appearing-in-blue-link-like word “Notes”, I can click on it once and the screen splits and I see the notes I put in that Notes space above. After seeing the notes I can then un-split the screen.

I do have a question about this. Is this just another way to get a Note section that allows us much more space than the smaller Doc and Project Notes to the right? If so that’s sure okay with me, I just wondered whether I’m using it for the right thing.

As with everything in Scrivener, if you are using it, and it is working for you, you are using it for the right thing.

What it actually does is create a new document somewhere in the binder (not sure where), and creates a link to that document. So it is separate to the Document and Project Notes, and can also be used for cross-linking sections of your draft, or to other research etc. as well.

Matt

Now that’s interesting. Can someone expound on that?

Sure.

The premise is that scrivener is flexible enough to work the way you work. This means that you are not forced to work the way the software is designed. Others will say there are exceptions to this principle (and they are right) but the overriding philosophy is still there.

What? That isn’t the topic on which you wanted deeper understanding?

Hmmphff.

As I have pointed out on the forum before:

You can get the note pane as big as a normal document. Behold, three splits!

And what you need expounding upon? Where the Cmd-L (not Ctrl-L, incidentally) notes go? Check the very bottom of the Binder. It is very likely that you have a folder there called “Notes” filled with a new document that was created every time you pressed Cmd-L. The note documents will be titled according to which document they came from, and the current date.

Here is another trick: Don’t select anything, just put your cursor somewhere and press Cmd-L. Quite nice for diary entries. Make a list out of them.