Another vote for the Android version

Good evening everyone.

I am trying Scrivener on my Mac and loving it already.

I saw there are many requests for an Android version and just would like to cast my vote as well.

We like the Mac, but we don’t like iOS, we prefer Android for many reasons…

And being able to jot down when hit by inspiration wherever you are and with wathever peripheral is paramount for a writer.

Of course I am alreayd using sync with external folder plus dropbox sync, it’s a limited subset but it’s not bad. Surely an entire dedicated app would be better.

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Have a nice weekend.

An android version is already planned. Keith the head of Literature and Latte had this to say:

The topic in which this is posted: [url]Scrivener for android]

Thank you for the head up. It seems interesting. Thanks again.

Just so you have no false hopes.

T he Win version is still in development and the 2 developers are likely to be focused on bugs etc for some time after release, so no guarantee the Android version, if it does eventuate, will be any time soon.

After the shit-fight in the forums over ‘missed promises’ over Win V3 and iOS before that, I doubt L&L will be giving any commitment to Android st this time or even the wildest gestimate as to when or if.

I say this as a user, not L&L staff.

Fair points, given literature and latte’s history I don’t expect an android version to just magically appear after the windows release. These things take time. I’m not a developer, but I know enough about the process to understand how it works. That being said this little tidbit from the official literature and latte blog will significantly cut down on development time:

Original source:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/scrivener-3-0-for-windows-from-the-horses-mouth?category=57

Well I guess it’s their job to evaluate what is worth working on first and what is not.

Regarding my point of view as a single user, I could say that, for me, a desktop software appeals much more to me if there is a way to use it on my mobile device as well… In other terms, I guess they would sell more Scrivener for Mac and Windows copies if there was an Android version, so I just hope they don’t consider only the Android market, but the market as a whole. In the meatime, I can keep using Scrivener on my Note 10 syncing an external folder and working on txt files, that’s fine enough.

Have a nice evening, folks.

Hi all,

I haven’t used Scrivener yet. I worked with yWriter before and there my Windows and Android versions work well together with cloud storage. However yWriter doesn’t do all I want and Scrivener seems to offer many great features. However, the fact that it is so Apple orientated makes me doubt to invest in it. I see the available Windows version is behind on the Mac version and there is no Android app at all. That would mean I still need another platform or tool for notes “on the go” and that goes right against the idea of having everything at one place. So here’s one potential customer looking at other options…

This exactly. I won’t write an entire novel on my phone but I do want to access my project on the go, without dragging my heavy laptop around.

If you check previous posts in this and other Android threads plus the Windows V3 beta forum you will see answers.

Patience…

Background -
Developed on Mac first because Keith (the owner) had a Mac. (And because Mac is just better :laughing: )
Developed Win version because someone convinced Keith it was a market to address. Win running behind Mac because it started after Mac version was out in the market. Development slower due to lack of inbuilt tools as with Mac.
Developed iOS version because Mac users (the original market) requested, and it is the mobile market with more people prepared to spend on apps, Keith eventually caved.

Win Version V3, hopefully out this year and following that, Android which can use a lot of the Win development due to cross platform dev tool chosen.

Comments of people ‘looking at other options’ have never driven L&L’s response.

Another vote here: I use the Mac version but I have an Android phone - PLUS, I have two Onyx Boox tablets, e-ink tablets that run on Android, for reading and jotting things down. They’re wonderful writer’s aids. I realize that this is probably a minority request, but it would be a great boon to me to have an Android version of Scrivener as well.

Folks, you don’t have to vote. L&L has announced an Android version is on their road map. Please see the link posted upthread.

Anyway, Lit & Lat have said that they don’t develop according to votes, so …

:smiley:

Mark

I have to say that after casting my vote I went using Scrivener with external folder and I am working smoothly with both Android and the mac. Surely an Android version would improve still a bit more but I am satisfied even now. Certainly I would be the Android version. Have a nice evening.

Y’all,

Nobody cast a vote.

L&L didn’t ask for anyone’s vote. They’ve let us know their future plans to as much detail as they are comfortable releasing at this time, and that’s as much feedback as we get.

Does anybody ever read Keith’s “Read before posting” post?

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/before-posting/326/1]

Particularly the words: " Features are not implemented on a voting system; features are only added if I feel they a) fit in with my over-all vision for Scrivener and b) are practical. (Thus, for instance, please never respond to existing suggestions with “+1”.)"

My “vote” is not a feature request - it’s a platform request.

I read that the Android version is already in the works. But I wanted to let my voice be heard that some kind of Android version is something I would definitely buy. Determining how many of their customers would pay for an Android app might be of interest to L&L - I know programmers’ time is limited, but this is about generating extra cash.

Keep up the good work!

Having studied social psychology and gone through some of the pain of designing questionnaires and the statistical analysis that inevitably follows, it seems to me that the only thing any company could “determine” from a forum like this is that three or four people have taken the trouble to express an opinion about a matter. Personally, I wouldn’t dream of basing any commercial decision on data that thin. You might as well light fires and see which way the smoke blows. The only way you could get reasonably reliable scientific data would be by carrying out a fairly large representative survey, but even then you would be at the mercy of interpretation of the results and the peculiarities of statistics.

It seems to me that the utility of a “wish list” to a developer is that it might throw up some idea that the developer had not themselves thought of, and which they might find worth pursuing. Using it to gauge how popular a feature might be would be extremely foolhardy, in my view, and completely unscientific. Internet forums are rife with examples of the False Consensus Effect (not surprising, because the Effect is everywhere in our lives), but most people have no knowledge of it and are unaware that they are displaying it. I often wish it were more commonly understood, as it might reduce some of the bewilderment experienced by people when they run across others who are not of a like mind.

But I hope Android users get their own version when there is time to have it ready :smiley:

Read my earliest post in this thread, an Android version is already planned.

I know. I just didn’t express my idea clearly.

E-readers with note taking capabilities are becoming mainstream in 2021-2022. Though still expensive, they are getting more powerful, especially in their note-taking features. Some even recognize handwriting, and they can also be connected to a Bluetooth keyboard. Several are using Android, like the Onyx Boox models. These readers are distraction free, with no eye-strain thanks to e-ink. This is why I ordered one. They would be fantastic tools to write with, would there be a Scrivener Android App.
I use Scrivener on my MacBook but never could use significantly enough on my iPhone.