Any other sync options on the horizon ?

Yes but more importantly: performance on ipad / iphone / mac is always perfect and snappy.

By the way, if you ever need to go through the long bootstrap process of getting huge projects on your devices again (and for anyone else thinking of doing so), there are efficient ways of doing so, documented in the full guide on syncing.

The theory is simple: copy the big stuff over with high-speed USB cable, and meanwhile if the project isn’t already uploaded, let it do so from the Mac (which is not throttled like the API is, and thus will use your bandwidth to its fullest). Once that is complete, drag the wire transferred project into the Dropbox area on the device. Since both will be identical copies, there will be nothing to sync at that point, and after that point, only what changes should sync.

The main limitation is, as sidderke knows, that annoying Dropbox issue with slowness while scanning large folder structures. But that isn’t quite the same thing as overall gigabytes. You can have 10gb with five binder items. In theory a 70mb project that is only text, but has +10,000 binder items all with an average of 5 to 10 snapshots will take a lot longer to sync.

Thanks for that extra clarification! I thought so but didn’t know for sure.

Hey folks, just to let you know that all is well here at the retirement home. Nurse Catalina lets us oldies play on her iPadOS beta if we eat our sprouts, and I have high hopes that if we incontinents are really good, she might even let us try one of those apps which make writing more fun by making you type asterisks between all of your words. What fun, Pip!
Nap time now,
K

:laughing:

Do they serve Mojave? :smiley:

Please, not a universal app with a single design and interface that works and syncs seamlessly across hardware and software. Heavens, no, that would be far too easy to sell, far too easy to support, far too easy to update, and make far too many sane people feel delighted and happy.

Slàinte mhòr.

Are you switching to Evernote? Good luck! :smiley:

Cat got your sense of humour? I honestly don’t understand why you are still here.

Currently, the iCloud Drive upload size limit for a single file is 50 GB. I did a little searching and came up empty regarding a size limit for a download file.??? Do such limits exist for one or each of them––iCloud Drive, Files app, iOS? Is a limiter tripped at an intermediate stop in memory? Could be I didn’t use the proper search terms.

I regularly use Zipped files or iTunes to work cross-platform. When I use the ‘cloud’ I use a service other than iCloud Drive so I have limited experience with it. And I don’t have any large files on hand to test, but if I did, I’d try to download the multi-GB file from iCloud Drive to a 3rd party file manager like FileApp (< not Apple’s Files app) before trying to send it to Scrivener’s space.

[Side note—Apple has recently raised the limit for cellular app downloads to 200 MB. That’s likely to be bettered in iOS 13 to more useful options:
9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/ios-13-r … -cellular/]

No idea. I myself don’t want to use bèta software but if someone has ipados bèta and would like to test it, he/she is always welcome to share feedback or results.

I think the problem is not necessary a download limit but rather that it wants to send the file to Scrivener before it got completely downloaden. Of course I am only guessing.

I haven’t used the beta, either. My search was for current circumstances.

Best…

This post, like a number of your other recent harangues, is frankly just rude. I’m a little fed up of the passive-aggressive insinuations that I should retire and that my company is going to go under if I don’t do what you want me to do (a tactic I always find wearying when I encounter it). I’m a long way from retirement age, thank you very much - although, like you, if I so wished, thanks to Scrivener I could quit tomorrow and probably never work again, although that is not my intention, not least because I have a wonderful team that I would like to keep in work for as long as possible - and because I am not done with what I want to achieve in software. Fortunately, despite your assumptions to the contrary, L&L is doing incredibly well with no signs of that plunge into the abyss you so predict (and seem to desire) for us.

Might I one day write a simplified app that is much the same on iOS and macOS? Yes, it’s definitely a possibility, but not because I’m bullied into it by someone who wants me to cannibalise my profits by using Project Catalyst to make our iOS version run on macOS. And if I ever do write that app, it will be as I want it. I can imagine some of it now: there would be no page view, no corkboard, no labels or status, no screenwriting mode, no writing history, no custom metadata (no metadata in fact), no layouts, no tables, no collections… It would just contain the features I want for myself. I’m not sure those who want “simple” would necessarily like it after all.

Given that you think we are doing so much so wrong, I suggest finding and using software you actually like. Like you say, life is short.

1 Like

Well said! :exclamation:

Thank you Keith. Dare I mention the False Consensus Effect (again)?

By the way, contact Dropbox if you’re not happy with the new DoG (Delusions of Grandeur) price increase: they extended my current pricing for a year. I did this through chat. I said I wasn’t keen on the new pricing and asked what I could do; and presto, the price extension was offered instantly. I imagine they’re getting a lot of complaints and people switching.