Any way to have Scrivenings autoscroll in a split?

Just trying out a new workflow.

So I’ve split my document into 100’s of individual pieces.

I’m editing those pieces 1 by 1 and then progressing onto the next piece by the keyboard shortcut (Opt+Cmd+down arrow). That’s working great.

But it occurs to me it could be even better if I were to split the editor and also have the entire thing loaded in a scrivenings session in the split - so I can still see each piece in context with what’s around it.

Is there any way to get that scrivenings session split to stay in sync with the first editor by autoscrolling to keep the section from the other editor in the centre of the screen? (Or something like that.)

Essentially a reverse of the double blue arrow button that autoloads the selected document from the outliner in the other split.

I can’t think of anything automatic, but I can think of a few tricks that may help:

• Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-UpArrow and DownArrow will scroll the other split without removing your typing focus from the one you’re working in. So using those shortcuts you can move the Scrivenings session up and down as needed while working in the smaller sections individually.
  • Using a single split instead, you can easily isolate any one section of the session using Cmd-4 (View/Go To/Editor Selection). That command is meant for opening the selected item in the text editor no matter what, even if it is a folder, and it does so without disturbing your currently preferred view mode. From Scrivenings it loads the section that your cursor is currently in. When you’re done you can of course just use the History buttons to get back to precisely where you were in the session before, down to the text selection, with Cmd-[. It works really well for achieving the overall thing you’re trying to do: having direct access to both the context and focus.
  • You can also get to the context of a piece when your view mode is Scrivenings, by hitting Ctrl-Cmd-R, the shortcut for View/Go To/Enclosing Group. That’s more useful if you’ve not yet viewed the piece you’re working on in a larger session yet. Otherwise History would probably be more useful as it remembers your cursor position, as this command instead builds a new session.

Thanks, I’ll give those a try.

Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-UpArrow and DownArrow sounds very useful.

I’m kind of editing along to audio in real time and it’s sometimes hard to keep up, so anything that means I don’t have to reach for the mouse (or the keyboard depending on where my hand is at the moment) is helpful. :slight_smile: