Hi everyone. I am currently writing a couple of so called T-charts for a video production (T as in time axis). A T-chart is actually a 2-column document, one for the audio content, and one for the video. Of course, the audio and video columns should be sort of synced. Think of the vertical axis as roughly being the time line. Until now I have used Word and created a simple 2-column table. Each scene is a table row. That keeps audio and video synced together close enough.
Now, I know that Scrivener is not exactly good at tables. So how could I do this with Scriv - or is that simply the wrong tool for this task? Has anybody done something like this with Scrivener yet?
I could imagine to put the audio part in a document per scene and place the video directions in the Notes section. But then, how could I make the compiler print them side-by-side. Any ideas? I know, some of you folks are very inventive.
I haven’t heard of anyone doing that, or anything close to it in Scrivener. You suppose you might be able to do in Word or InDesign after Compiling the project to docx, rtf, or odt. Or you might be able to do it in a markdown Compile.
Hey @drmajorbob . Thank you for the reply!
Yes, the options probably are
- Continue to work in Word
- Write Scriv and manually place the compiled content in a Word document, thus using Scrive’s nice outlining and research feutures
- Write in Scriv using some special styles to indicate what goes into what column; compile it with generating markdown from the styles and then have a little helper program do the transfer into a Word document, controlled by the markdown.
Lazy as I am, it’s probably going to be option 1 or 2.
I might say the same thing, personally, but people who do markdown and LaTeX compiles can do anything, it seems.
(I’d never actually go back to using Word, though. I haven’t missed it one bit the past ten years.)
Thank you! And you might have seen that I somehow hit Ctrl-Enter and sent my reply prematurely.
You are certainly right about what can be done with markdown and LaTeX. I was hoping one of you here in the forum was doing such a thing already and I could steal their solution.
Well, you could just use a table, like in Word, but you might have replicate data in scenes.
Or you could create two Custom Metadata entries, and add those to the Outliner. Now a normal sequence of Scene documents constitude a grid and you can enter data in every cell of those two columns: A Story Grid.
As an example:
Hi @AntoniDol ! Hmm, yes, that will work for the input side. I just need to produce a two column document by the compile step and that might turn out to be impossible in Scriv. So, probably some kind of a little utility program that I will have to write.
Interesting question: Can you Compile a Table with Custom Metadata?
I haven’t looked into it deeply. One first had to find a compiler setting that includes the said meta data fields in the output and with some handmade markdown around them. Never tried that so far, though. It might be easier using styles instead.
We can include metadata fields anywhere in the Editor or Compile.
But can you generate rows?
That’s a different question.
You mean rows in Word? I guess, one can, though it might be a little more work than just generating a plain paragraph.
If you mean rows in the compiler output of Scriv, probably not. I just would surround the text for each column with some markdown and then pick that up in the conversion utility to Word. If that makes any sense to you.
Using some sort of compile to LaTex/Pandoc, etc., I would imagine it wouldn’t be that difficult.
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I appreciate them!
Quick thought on the problem visualized this needing really a table with variable height pairs of elements.
This is exactly what a spreadsheet does naturally, and there are a number of templates for this that show up right away if you look up ‘video t-charts’ on Google…
Seems you could still use Scrivener to compose up ideas for the texts when that would be helpful (manipulating chunks etc.), and copy-paste or drag-drop across…
I think this would be a lot easier than trying to use Markdown tables — as you can see, you essentially would have to edit within a text model of table cells…not fun
Thank you, @narrsd ! That is what I am actually doing right now. I didn’t find the time yet to work out something more elaborate: Using Scrivener to collect the ideas and then transferring them over to a Word document with the appropriate table.
Thanks for answering!