Anyone switched from Liquid Story Binder?

And why? I like the customization features of LSB, but so many people talk about Scrivener that I keep coming back to it. I lost a bunch of words with a previous beta, so I stopped using it for awhile, and it doesn’t outline as well as LSB does (I may just not be familiar enough with it yet), but it does some stuff pretty well. I was hoping to hear from some former LSB users that have switched and hear why you did. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

As the designer of Scriv (and the developer of the Mac version), I’ll just chip in and say that - although of course I’d love you to choose Scrivener :slight_smile: - I think LSB is a superb app and I wouldn’t want to try to persuade anyone to switch. I think LSB and Scrivener have quite different approaches to the process in many respects, although we both allow a freeform approach with reference to images and support materials and suchlike. Hopefully there’s room for both of us and each will suit different writers.

What outlining problems were you having in Scrivener for Windows though? The Windows version has a little way to go yet before it is ready for release, and I’m not sure about what limitations are lurking in the Windows outliner, but it should allow for fairly fluid outlining by the time it’s done. The main thing about outlining in Scrivener is that each title and synopsis in the outline is associated with a document in the binder so that you can outline first and then fill out the documents into scenes or chapters later, or you can write first and fill in the synopses later to get an overview on the outliner. I think how fluid you find outlining in Scrivener ultimately depends on whether this duality, of each synopsis in the outliner matching a document, suits the way you work.

Anyway, thanks for trying Scriv whatever you decide, and hopefully future betas won’t eat your work!

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Yeah, LSB is cool.  It allows for a huge amount of customization, and it's pretty stable.  My beef with LSB is that most of it is not intuitive at all. Anytime I want to do something new, I have to search for how to do it, and it's not always easy to find.  Does that make me lazy? Yes it does; I will freely admit that. And this brings me to my second point.

My problem with the Windows Outliner in Scrivener is that I haven't figured it out yet.  I always seem to try and figure it out when I'm in the middle of a deadline, so I honestly haven't looked at it that much.  The only [i]real[/i] problem I've had with Scrivener for Windows so far is that I lost upwards of about 10k words one time when I saved my work.  That put me off of it for awhile.  I believe that was in Beta 4.  I've worked with it a little lately, and it seems much more stable. I like the ability to use double line-spacing now.  I also like the way that a lot of it seems very intuitive.  I plan to use it exclusively for my next project, and I may even try to edit my NaNo 2k10 book using it.  Overall, great job.

Hi doseyclwn,

You may have already looked around on the forums about this, and I don’t know that it will do you much good now as it sounds like your word loss happened a while ago, but did you try using the Windows OS search function to see if you could find your .rtf files that were lost? I don’t know all the particulars of your case, obviously, but I’ve seen it happen a few times on the boards where words seem to be lost in Scrivener but the underlying .rtf is fine, and a Windows search will call it up. Obviously there’s still something goofy going on, but at least you’d have your writing back. If you haven’t yet, try using that search to look for some relatively unique words that would’ve been in the missing text (e.g. character or place names).

Just a thought, might help you out.

MM

I didn’t so much change from LSB as fall in love with Scrivener. Perhaps it’s the way I work but Scrivener is so much more user friendly than LSB which, for me, is too fragmented and with too many windows.

Cheers,

Camy