APA Dissertation formatting

I am working on my dissertation. I need to format the document according to these guidelines:

General APA Formatting

First page of a chapter: 2” top, 1” bottom, 1.5” left, 1.0” right
Succeeding pages of a chapter: 1” top, 1” bottom, 1.5” left, 1.0” right
First line paragraph indent: 0.25”
Text for the body of the document: 12 pt., Times New Roman
Horizontal spacing: Double-spaced for the body of the text, except

Indented direct quotations: single-spaced
Figures and Tables: single-spaced

Reference List: Single-spaced within each and double-spaced between each; hanging indent formatting with appropriate current APA style for authors, titles, journals, publishers, etc.

How do I create a formatting style for:
1 - First page but different for succeeding pages
2 - Double spacing for main text but not quotations or figures and tables?

Thanks!

I’m sure someone will come along and tell you how to set up presets and compile to do this, but me, I’d leave such detail to the end, when I’d export to RTF and set those details up in a word-processor. I’d guess you’re almost certainly going to check it over in a word-processor anyway at the end of the day.

I use Nisus Writer Pro, though I guess Word and Mellel can do the same. I mark quotes with code before and after [q] and [/q], and similarly for other paragraphs that need special formatting, then I use NWP’s very powerful “find and replace” system to find all text beginning and ending with those codes, and then remove the codes and format the way I want.

I prefer to use inline annotations and footnotes, but the footnotes become proper footnotes or endnotes on compile, and you can compile without annotations or they can become margin comments; I use Bookends as my bibliography manager, and that works brilliantly with Scrivener and NWP for final creation of the references and bibliography — as does Mellel, it seems …

But the real point is to get on with writing without thinking about layout, etc. just needing to note that “this is a quote”, “this is a footnote”, etc. The latter Scrivener does brilliantly, the former only takes a a bit of thought and then a few key-presses to set up the find-and-replace in NWP. Indexing and TOC, I’d do in NWP too.

Using Scrivener is a paradigm shift from doing the whole thing in a word-processor, but well worth it in terms of making the writing process less harrowing. By worrying about how to format your documents in Scrivener so that they’ll compile exactly the way you want them in the end is just trying to make Scrivener work as nearly like a word-processor as it can and to import all those extra issues to complicate the writing process.

Mark

Another tip: try starting with the APA template (in the Non-Fic section). That will get you fairly close to what you need, but as Mark points out, the finer details are best left to a full layout engine like a word processor. Just save that step for the very end of your project, as it is rather labour intensive to do repetitively.