Appending a new body of content

I wonder if anyone has some advice on this: I have now completed a first draft of a novel for the second time. The first version was lacking; lots of reasons why. But it’s fully entered in Scrivener. Now I have a lot of new material, some overlapping and some replacing the old stuff. Does anyone have suggestions for:

a) differentiating new from old and

b) outlining the whole thing effectively.

Also, c) is there a good example online of using Scrivener to outline a novel in such a way that the outline itself is presentable to a publisher?

Could you describe your arrangement a little more? Did you create a new folder for your “second first draft” and just start writing, or did you duplicate it and then edit it? Did you create a new project? Did you write the second draft in another application?

I assume from your description that you have new chapters and/or scenes, and others that are based on the first draft’s content. How easy would it be for you to draw lines from the 1st draft’s scenes/chapters to the 2nd draft’s scenes/folders? That’ll make a huge difference in your approach. Also, do you really need to reference that first attempt, or do you just feel weird throwing it out?

As for outlines for publishers… I have zero experience with that, but I’d say that the titles and synopses fields could be the source for your outline. Are you planning to pitch your book idea to an editor, or are you just planning ahead for when you have a finished work to sell? Is the outline for pitching the book, or is it for presenting to your editor before/while they do a read-through? Knowing the audience for your outline will probably help when/if any published authors chime in.

Good luck!

My new content is not yet in scrivener. It is longhand manuscript. It needs to be entered by typing and/or verbal dictation. (I have Dragon Dictate). So I can impose any structure and method I want. Looking at the existing Scrivener material, it is separated into scenes in 5 Sections. I think I’d like to continue to use Scenes, and have each scene (when it’s complete) represented by one sentence Outline statements. I have color coded content by character and can use that “color stripe” corkboard view, whatever that’s called.

I have a significant amount of content in Scrivener that will be re-used. My new content doesn’t start the book anew; it starts about halfway in.

Once I have really good outline, I might pitch someone (agent / publisher) based on a synopsis or three initial chapters and an outline. But I’d feel more comfortable having a complete draft that feels somewhat polished. (I also want to have a second book, a sequel, outline also … so it gets a little daunting!)

Personally, I don’t find it helpful to differentiate between drafts in that way. A “new” sentence is not necessarily “better” than an “old” sentence, after all. Certainly no future reader will care.

But this is fundamentally what Scrivener’s “Snapshot” function is for. Make a backup before you start. Create new scenes at their intended manuscript location, and use either the created date or some other metadata to identify them. For existing scenes, take a Snapshot before you start editing. If there are any scenes you’d like to delete, you can drag them to a “Deleted Scenes” folder if you’re not ready to put them in the project Trash.

As for the outline, put your one sentence description in the Synopsis field, then use the Compile command with one of the Outline formats as your starting point.

Katherine

Regarding your need to enter your longhand paper manuscript, handwriting OCR might be an alternative to either typing or dictation. If you have an iPhone or iPad, apps “Pen to Print” or “Handwriting OCR” might meet your need inexpensively. Pen to Print has good reviews.

Hoping this is helpful, if your hardware situation works for it.