Archiving .scriv Files

Anyone have suggestions for how to Archive .scriv files? I use Scrivener for short-form/blog writing, so I create a few a week. Each project has all my notes and, mostly, many many failed starts. Since I’ve started using Scrivener, I’ve collected quite the stockpile. I happen to be terrible at Finder organization, mostly because I group by ideas, which is where I get screwed up because there is overlap.

I’ve poked around with DevonThink, which shows you all the documents in the .scriv, but for some reason I can’t get into a DT workflow. It’s pretty crashy on my system. Does Yokimbo bring Scriv files in? What suggestions do folks have? Thanks!

Why not use a single “blog” scriv project?

Just set up a hierarchy that looks something like

Drafts
  WIP 1
    Attempt 1
    Attempt 2
  WIP 2
    Attempt 1
    Attempt 2
Archive
  Final A
    Attempt 1
    Attempt 2
  Final B
    Attempt 1
    Attempt 2

Other than that i really have no help to offer. AmberV is the goddess of organization around here and I have a few questions to ask her myself.

To organise Scrivener projects, and other files as well, I’d recommend something more along the lines of Leap, which just sits on top of the file system and augments it, rather than using a dedicated database type application. Leap has a lot of built-in search and refinement organisation, and lets you organise things by keywords as well.

But yes, if your blog articles are all using similar research pools and such, you could consider a bit of consolidation. That’s a matter of taste. When you compile out an article, you can select the top-level tree to work off of in the first panel, you needn’t compile the entire draft.

So you like leap? That was what I was going to ask you about. I never really understood tagging until I moved a pile of my “stuff” to google apps. Now I get it, and man, the idea of referential association using what is effectively address space get all my system efficiency emotions flowing.

So you like leap?

It’s good if you need that sort of thing, and since it is a kind of Finder analogue, works nice with other tools as well. I picked it up in a bundle once and use it sporadically. Honestly I do most of my organisation old-school with a bunch of highly regimented folders, and have never really felt the need to use a lot of keywords and such. I have considered it, especially in grey areas where something is an archival type thing, like documentation, but still a work in progress. Sym links usually work fine for situations like that, though a system that marked WiP with keywords could certainly be interesting, I don’t think it would fit in with my working style which is heavily dependent upon LaunchBar. Folders work best for that, and LB has its own kind of “auto-tagging” system by file type. You can search for Scrivener Projects in general, and then name match from there, it doesn’t care where they are on the system, so it’s a bit like running a quick Spotlight search for .scriv first… except way faster.

Yeah, that’s how I get into trouble. I’ve relied on Search for too long. I dunno, maybe I’m just crazy but I work better in databases than in file systems. Case in Point, my Aperture library is crazy organized.

Well you might benefit from something like Leap then, as it has all of the advantages of a database without the disadvantages. You can keep your files wherever they currently are, and not worry about them all being inside of another program.

So I just tried Leap, and it is very cool how you can just click off Scrivener Projects and it’ll find all of them on your hard drive. I’ll tinker for a bit.