The title of the book is the name of the file in the binder:
War and Peace volume 1
War and Peace volume 2
Walden
etc.

Also I want to put my own numbers at the beginning of the titles:
1 War and Peace volume 1
2 War and Peace volume 2

However, after I type in the number (at the beginning of the file name) then hit ENTER/RETURN key,
Scrivener changes the file name to this:
War and Peace volume 1.1
War and Peace volume 2.2

Is there way that I can add my own numbers at the beginning of the file names in the binder ?
Thanks again !

Firstly, are you posting with regards to the Windows or Mac version? Your forum tag says Mac, but this is a Windows thread. Either way, you should not be having any problems naming things as you like here. Does this happen if you create a new blank project, just as a test, click on the untitled document in the binder, press Esc (F2 on Windows) to toggle editing, and then type in “1 test 1”? Does it only happen if the title is already “test 1” and you edit it and add the “1” to the front later? I tried everything I could think of trying, including renaming in the header bar, inspector, outliner and corkboard—everything worked fine over here.

Hi, and thanks so much for your reply.
My question was regarding a Windows version – it is a gift to a friend, a complete beginner at Scrivener.
I am a Mac user, and I have used Scrivener for Mac – I can’t remember how long – maybe at least 5 years.
When I try this on my Scrivener for Mac, there are no problems at all … I can easily put the numbers in the file names.
But the Windows Scrivener is not letting my friend put the numbers at the beginning of the file names, as I described.
We did try making a new project, and typing in (for the first time)
“1 Book Title 1” … but then after hitting “ENTER/RETURN”
it changes the file name to Book Title 1.1
Again, this happens only in the Windows Scrivener – the Mac Scrivener is fine.
We are using Windows 8.1
Thanks again for trying to replicate this problem.

Just want to say that I gave this a try (if I’m understanding the problem rightly), and I can’t reproduce it on a Windows 7 machine. In a small project that I use for testing, I created a new document by hitting Ctrl+N in the Binder’s Research folder. I typed “1 Test title 1” as its title and hit Enter. The title did not change. I tried it in the Draft folder, with the same result. Perhaps a screen shot would help.

Hi, and thanks for trying and for replying.
I can’t send a screen shot right now, because of another problem which I just posted about.
I will send one as soon as possible.
My friend’s Windows computer is running Windows 8.1
Thanks again.

I was testing with Windows 7 last night, but I wouldn’t think that the version of Windows would make much of a difference for something like this, this sounds more like some kind of text replacement going on. Does your friend use anything like that on their computer? I’m thinking something like what we have for the Mac in Typinator and TextExpander, where you certainly could create a little macro that turned “1 test 1” into “test 1.1”, though I can’t think of why you’d want to. :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for this idea – I can’t think of any other possibility.
I will check this, and then reply ASAP.

I’ll second the comments and suggestions above. Seems most likely to be due to something in the computer environment Scrivener is running in, rather than Scrivener itself. A macro or text expander app, some odd antivirus or other product that doesn’t get on well with Scrivener, etc.

One bit of clarification. The names typed/generated for objects (folders, documents, etc.) in the Scrivener binder are not, technically, file names. They are the meaningful human readable names that the user/Scrivener assigns to the objects visible in the binder within Scrivener, which are related to markedly different names actually assigned to the underlying physical files within the Scrivener .scriv project folder in the Windows file system. If you want to get a feel for this, create a small test project with a few such items in the binder, exit Scrivener, browse (caution… look but don’t touch) the contents of the .scriv project folder using Windows File Explorer.