As an exam study tool

So, I’m a student. I looked into scrivener, because I’m definitely hoping to do grad work, but also, I’m doing my undergrad research project, as well as having quite a few papers in general this semester. But it came to mind that it could end up extremely useful for something else: EXAM NOTES!

I have an e-reader which I like to use almost excessively. Before, I would just export my exam notes to pdf files, but sometimes the scaling isn’t optimal, so I’m looking forward to being able to use scrivener to create my exam notes! I’m hoping to be able to create chapters for each unit, and then possibly some at the end for “flashcards” (when appropriate for the class). This will hopefully allow for easy navigation using kobo’s index system, with being able to jump back and forth between chapters. After reading some other posts, I’ve even downloaded Sigil, so that if I have the extra time, I can even make my notes all fancy. Spending so much time on the process may seem a little counter-intuitive… but so long as I’m going over the content for each stage, the process serves it’s function!

I have noticed one thing though… pdfs seem to be NOTORIOUSLY slow in scrivener (at least, the ones my lecturers provide for slides, though I’ve also been noticing the issue for many of the articles I tried importing for my research), so for now, I’m still stuck with the adobe reader running alongside scrivener, but overall, I’m VERY happy with scrivener. Even as a broke student, I’m not ending up with buyers regret (which I often get for buying a bag of chips, or “spoiling” myself by getting the GOOD brand of bread).

And if it helps me get back into some of my creative hobbies (I do everything… write, draw, sculpt, etc), all the better!

Has anyone else ever use scrivener to help make notes/ebooks for studying-like purposes? Any tips? I’m currently debating how I should divide up the chapters. My first midterm is probably gonna be a joke, so it’s a good time to experiment with a format that I like.

If you import your PDFs as alias in your research, it will be quicker. :slight_smile:

I am a doctoral student and using scrivener. I have used concept maps and mind maps for creating outlines and recently started using Scapple, which I have found great for creating an outline. I then use the outline to create chapters in Scrivener. A couple of useful tips I have found that worked for me - from your outline, decide on the number of words for each section and a couple of items you want to include and make each a sub chapter. It makes it easier to write in “chunks”, because the outline is there and you just have to follow it, or skip around in it if you choose, you don’t get lost.
EXAMPLE
Chapter 1 - 5000 words, need to JUSTIFY paper (ie make the case for it being important enough to study), include high level statistics, eg, how many, where, etc. (NOTE: 5,000 words is for WHOLE chapter, not just intro)
introduction 500 words
background - 200 words what is the situation here and now
context 1000 words - history of subject, history of this section and that section
definitions - 1000 words
Summary of paper, including pointers to following chapters 1000 words
Chapter summary - 1000 words
END OF EXAMPLE
Then I will do an outline of each of the above sections. I don’t have to keep exactly to the word count but it gives me an idea of how much I want to write, so I don’t obsess about a minor point.

Second tip - get the book by Steven Posusta, “Don’t Panic: The Procrastinator’s Guide to Writing an Effective Term Paper” it’s available in paperback or for Kindle. Only takes 2 hours to read. Excellent book, tells you how to find your “thesis” and how to get started and how to finish and how best to edit . Interesting book to read. I wish I had known about it years ago, but he wasn’t born when I was an undergrad.

EDIT
Forgot to add, that by using the Posusta method, you can (again) use Scrivener to keep everything in order. :smiley: