Asking for contacts?

Hi, I’ve been using Scrivener for a long time, and love it. I just updated to OS X Mountain Lion, and now I get a warning that Scrivener wants access to my contacts. Are they kidding? I’ve never seen this before, is this normal? I’m on the verge of anger at Lit&Lat, but prepared for an explanation.

Cheers,

Please see this thread: [url=https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/mountain-lion-contacts-access-request-box/18967/1]

Scrivener uses your information in Contacts (formerly Address Book) to auto-populate the relevant fields in templates and such, e.g. putting your name and address into the title page or using the <$surname> tag in the header in compile. A lot of applications do this, including Pages, so you’ll probably see this popping up a lot with Mountain Lion–it used to just be that it happened automatically, as it was part of the purpose of having your own information in the Address Book in the first place, set up when you create an account on your Mac. Clicking “OK” to the message will just let Scrivener continue acting as it always has. If you choose not to allow it, that’s fine too; you’ll just need to always fill those in yourself and enter all the information in the Project Meta-Data form if you want to use tags in compile.

Thank you for the explanation! I cancelled it, I guess there’s no way to turn it back on?

You can turn it back on via the “Privacy” tab of your “Security & Privacy” system preferences. You will see this message from a lot of applications, given that applications have been using the AddressBook framework for years to auto-fill your email address or contact details where necessary in a completely harmless way. I’m quite surprised at how many people are so suspicious about this, as though we’re doing something untoward, but at least in the next update the message that pops up should give more information as to how Scrivener uses Contacts. I suppose it doesn’t help that the default message that Apple shows makes it sound as though Scrivener wants to access all of your contact information, which is not the case.

As an iPhone user, I get this kind of pop-up all the time. When Angry Birds wants access to my location information for instance, my response is “pfft! BLOCK,” and get on with my bird-based demolitions. When a weather app wants my location info, I think, “Hmm, that would be nice when I’m traveling; it can look my the weather for where I am, instead of what it is at home. Accept!”

I think the relative newness of this kind of gatekeeping is what is making people suspicious, “My computer never asked this kind of question before… what are you up to Kevin!” Most users aren’t used to these messages on Mac OS, so I bet they’re assuming that access to Contacts is something brand new, and therefore highly suspect.