Asterisk when I compile

Hi,

When I compile my project, there are astericks and I cannot figure out how to stop it. I’ve searched and only found topics relating to a version of Scrviener I don’t seem to have. Please help. I know it has something to do with the seperator, but I can’t find a way to fix it.

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 6.23.17 PM.png

Most recent posts are about Scrivener 3. Do you have Scrivener 2? If yes, the attached might help – pages from the Scrivener 2 manual that deal with separators used during compile, which is probably the issue you are facing.

Slàinte mhòr.

Scrivener 2 Separators.pdf (258 KB)

Thanks, but I have Scrivener 3.

Hi Tanyab87,

I don’t have Scriv 3, so can’t provide you with specific instructions, but there is going to be a Separators section in your v3 manual very similar to the v2 section that JoRo has provided you. Perhaps you could consult that for specific instructions.

Best,
Jim

I believe you’ll need to edit the text layout in your compile format. The setting you want is “empty lines across page breaks.” This is set to “replace” with three asterisks by default, because this is a common convention in printed books—if a blank line would fall at either the top or the bottom of a page (to separate scenes in a chapter, for example) it’s replaced with three asterisks or some other visible separator so the reader can see there’s supposed to be a break there. This is covered in the Scrivener manual in section 24.6.1.

Hope this helps!