Auto-Complete Return Key in Screenplay Mode

I know it only saves one keystroke, but I wanted to add a Return after both “DAY” and “NIGHT” in the Scene Heading Auto Complete preferences. I never type anything after these words, so it would be great just to have it complete and then immediately go down and start a new Action line.

I was able to do this by entering Command-Return after both words, and it works… except that the next line it creates is another Scene Heading - not the action line I’m expecting.

I’m not a programmer, but I have two guesses. One is that I’m doing a “soft return” instead of a hard one, in which case, does anyone know the right way to enter it? The second guess is that using the auto complete feature with a Return somehow bypasses the Tab/Return preferences.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just when I though I was getting clever… I figured ok, why not add a TAB after the RETURN to the auto-complete word. This does not work either. It will cause a return, and give you an action line, but as soon as you type on it only one letter goes through and it brings you down another line.

Hi,

You can select “Go to next line after auto-complete” in the auto-complete section of the script settings for the scene heading, but this will mean that it will go to the next line as soon as you hit any auto-completes on that line - i.e. it would go to the next line for INT. or EXT. or whatever if you auto-completed those, too. So there’s no really good way of doing it, I’m afraid.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I cannot find “Go To Next Line After Auto-Complete” on the auto-complete menu of script settings.

Ahem, note to self: check the feature isn’t new in 2.0 before recommending users use it. :blush:

Yes, you’re right, I forgot this is a 2.0 feature which is why it was in my development version but isn’t in your copy. As I say, though, even that won’t help much on the scene heading line where you are likely to use the auto-complete feature more than once (for int/ext then day/night etc); it will, however, be handy on the character line etc.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Any thoughs on why adding command-return to the auto-complete field accomplishes the return but keeps it as a Scene Heading line instead of Action?

Obviously you have a million requests to deal with for 2.0, but if a user could make this happen it would be another great feature. Thanks.

Adam

Adding a return character in the auto-complete item won’t work as formatting is only changed when the user hits a single return (or tab), not when it’s pasted or included with other text as in this case. As I say, 2.0 introduces a “go to next line on auto-complete” feature, but you just wouldn’t want it turned on on the scene heading line just because there is more than one element you will want auto-complete for, and Scrivener has no way of telling which elements might come at the end of the line, as it is not a dedicated scriptwriting program…
All the best,
Keith