Auto-Numbering with Letters?

I’d like to have Letters as an auto-numbering type. For instance:

<$l> Gets replaced with lowercase letters during the Compile process. The letter is incremented each time a <$l> tag is encountered in the text, so “<$l>, <$l>, <$l>” would become “a, b, c” in the compiled text. (After the letter “z”, it will continue with “aa, ab, ac, …”)

<$L> Gets replaced with capital letters during the Compile process. The letter is incremented each time a <$l> tag is encountered in the text, so “<$L>, <$L>, <$L>” would become “A, B, C” in the compiled text. (After the letter “Z”, it will continue with “AA, AB, AC, …”)

I’m sure that I’m not the only person who uses letters to label sub-sections like this:

I. First section
A. First Subsection
B. Second Subsection
II. Second section
A. First Subsection
B. Second Subsection

Thanks!
Steve

Hi,

This isn’t a bad idea, the only problem is with language differences (that is, those who don’t use the Latin alphabet). The nice thing about the numbers is that they are all handled by Apples NSNumberFormatter, even the spelled-out style (“one, two, three”) which is localised automatically by OS X. That said, just a basic Latin alphabetic counting system shouldn’t be too difficult to implement, possibly for 2.0.4…

All the best,
Keith

I know you don’t like +1s etc., but I was looking (and then wishing) for this just yesterday.

Actually I have no objection to, “I’d find this really useful too…”, it’s only replies that consist of nothing more than a “+1”. :slight_smile:

I’ve added this to the list for 2.0.4 (2.0.3 is just about finished and already overdue).

All the best,
Keith

I also would like to see this feature. It still seems to be missing in the Windows 1.9.6.0 version. Huge utility from a tiny feature.