Auto-Populating Corkboard Cards

Please pardon me if this has been asked.

I am writing by organizing my manuscript into increasingly detailed partitions and keeping track of many levels is a challenge.

Ideally, I’d create a “tree” instead of a nested table of contents, but a Corkboard of Cards may be a solution if I can populate the Cards with the next level of contents. I’m doing that now by Edit > Copy > Copy_Special > Copy Document as TOC but it is iterative and time-consuming.

For example

Section 1

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Heading 1
Heading 2

Might be displayed as a Corkboard for Section 1 whose cards were entitled Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. and the Content of Chapter 3’s Card would list Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.

Is this easy to do?

Thank You,
Michael

Yep. We have multiple tools for dealing with them, too.

Pity we don’t have Import into Outliner from CSV; that’d solve this one easily. But we don’t, Yet. However, It’s easy enough to simply type the titles in to the Binder and type return after each one to bring up the next one. Tab should demote it under the last one (tab first, not after the entry, though it should still work that way). Once you’ve got them all entered, you can view them in Scrivenings mode, or in the Outline View (which you can modify to show both titles and synopses at the same time), and then, one by one, enter the Synopses. You could do the entire thing in Outline View for that matter; it will let you edit the Titles, too. It works a bit differently than the Binder, but you’ll get the hang of it. I only use Corkboard view when I question the order the cards are in (does happen from time to time), or if I need to see an overview of the project so far (which is actually there in the Binder, already, and usually that’s where I look, but sometimes the index card view is helpful).

In terms of the hierarchical layout, yes. I do it all the time. Either the binder or the Outliner is my entry panel (usually the binder).
In terms of importing a document as a TOC, I don’t know. Why type it out just to import it, when the Binder is right there? It sounds like extra work.

Thank you, that is essentially what I do but it is tedious and time-consuming so I do it infrequently. Like most of my workarounds, I think I will need to compile the document to Word and build a VBA script to do it. It will be easy but I am generating pretty involved library of scripts to enhance Scrivener. Like the others, I will publish them in this newsgroup if they are suitably well written.

In the beta version at least, if you use the outliner view and the “Use Fixed Row Height” outliner option, the synopsis area will display the first part of the text of each document, if the synopsis is left blank.

The outliner allows you to display sub-documents in a heirarchy, which would eliminate the need for a ToC list in the synopsis of cards with sub-documents.

Unfortunately, displaying text from documents in the synopsis area is only a Beta version feature, if I recall correctly, But it is coming as a feature in version 3.

Thank you. My real goal was to create a hierarchical chart, like an organizational chart, to better visualize my book structure as shown below. I thought that the Corkboard view could be a shortcut to seeing one of the branches:
[attachment=1]Concept.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]concept2.jpg[/attachment]

The closest existing functionality to your request is the freeform corkboard. The main difference is that it contains only the direct children of the selected container.