Auto-Update on Project - Can I revert changes?

Hello Everyone.

I had a manuscript I was editing and was nearly finished. I went into the project on a different PC and made a final change. I realized after I saved it that the project on this second PC wasn’t my actual most recent file that I’d been working on (and was in fact a file from before this final edit).

When I opened the file on the original PC it updated to this older version with the one change and I appear to have lost all of my editing. Please tell me there is a way to revert to what was there before the project auto-updated on start-up and I haven’t actually lost all of my work.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Just realized this is the Mac support forum. I am working on PC. I apologize. If this can be moved to the proper forum that would be great.

Open scrivener and go to Tools->Options->Backup.

There you’ll find a button that will open a file browser to your backups folder for Scrivener. Find the version that was made prior to the (Dropbox?) sync that wiped out your work, and copy that backup file to your desktop. Unzip it (if it ends in a .zip extension), and then verifiy that it contains the missing words. If so, copy the other edit that isn’t part of it, and then replace the version that was overwritten… I suggest that you disable syncing first, delete the bad one, and replace it with the known good one, and then re-enable syncing.

Thank you SOOOO much! You just saved re-editing an entire novel to just having to re-write one paragraph that didn’t make it in (for some reason)!

You are a life-saver! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It’s such a relief to know that there were good backups available. Oftentimes, people will open and close the same project, making tiny changes without realizing it, until all their good backups are replaced with the recent “edited” version. I do suggest you do two things if you haven’t already; increase the settings in the Backups pane to keep more than the default 5. At least set it to 10. Second, make sure it puts the date into the backup filename, and that it ZIP-compresses all backups; that way you can’t mistake these automatic backups for your main project–it requires that you actually extract from that .zip file before opening it in Scrivener.

Thing 2.1: Also, be sure that your Scrivener backup files are themselves being automatically backed up somewhere else; an external drive, an sync service such as Google Drive, Microsoft’s cloud thingy (not recalling its name right now), or better yet, something like Backblaze. You can set the folder where backups go, rather than using the default location-- if you change that, go ahead and move those files to the new location. Just be sure not to use the same sync service for your backups as you’re using for your “live” projects. Eggs should be kept in separate baskets, as they say. (Also note that a .zip compressed backup can go to any cloud service you like, but the “live” projects shouldn’t be stored on Google Drive, and Microsoft’s cloud service has to be set up properly to sync your entire project correctly).