AUTOMATIC MANUSCRIPT FORMATTING OPTION

I need the formatting done before I can start writing. I hate dealing with at the end, things get messed up or worse accidentally deleted.

I read somewhere that there’s a way to custom format so that manuscript formatting was automatic Times New Roman, 12 point, 1 inch margin, header taken cared of, double space, 5 inch indent.

Every time I search for it online, the examples I see are the MAC version. The ones I’ve seen on this site are dealing with COMPILE and I’m not there yet. I just want formatting done before I start. Is there a video? A step by step. It’s driving me crazy that I can’t figure it out. I’m sure it’s something simple but I just don’t know how to get there.

Hi, msrani, and welcome to the forum.

One of the great things about Scrivener is that you can focus on writing and take care of the formatting later. In fact, at compile time you can use a preset that will generate a standard manuscript file no matter which format you’ve used while typing your documents. Have you gone through the tutorial yet? It is strongly recommended.

Anyway, if you still want to set up your editing formatting beforehand, just go to Options/ Editor and select your font, spacing, indent and justification. These will apply to any document you create after changing the settings.

Header and margins will be set upon compile, though. The default margin is 1 inch on the four borders of the page and the header is whatever you name your project.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.