automatically name text documents after saving problem

This feature works fine for me with blank project - but when I use the Scriptwriting>Screenplay template it seems to break down.

If I select the first blank scene in the template, then hit the big green ‘add a new document’ button it creates a document with ‘Scene Heading’ as the default element - which is fine of course - but typing out a new title followed by carriage return does not generate an auto-named title.

I’ve tried trashing plist in prefs and rebooting Scrivener, but no difference. I’ve also tried turning auto-name off and on in Prefs; again, no joy. I’ve noticed that in, for example, the Novel template the auto-name works fine but if F8 is used to change a document to Script mode-Screenplay, then the first such document auto names but thereafter they do not.

Am I missing something? Does the auto-name function only work in plain text mode?

Auto-name will only re-name documents that are named “Untitled”. Which, come to think about it, is a bit of a bug seeing as new script documents are titled “New Scene”. I’ll fix this for the next update. In the meantime, you can work around it like this:

  1. In the “Templates” folder, create a new blank document. Make sure it is entitled “Untitled” and switch it to script mode.

  2. Select either the Draft (“Screenplay”) folder or the “Scenes” folder, and go to Documents > Default New Subdocument Type and select the “Untitled” script document you just created.

This will mean that every time you create a new document in the “Screenplay” folder, the new document will be a copy of that “Untitled” script document, so now it will get renamed properly. (Note that if you apply the default new subdocument type to the “Screenplay” folder, then new documents anywhere inside that folder - even inside the “Scenes” folder - will use the new document type; if you just apply it to the “Scenes” folder, then the new document type will only apply inside that folder and any subfolders you make within it.)

As I say, this is a workaround, but it will work fine until I fix this in the code.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

All the best,

Great - many thanks Keith.