Autosave folder Location?

Hi, new to the software, testing it out, looking good so far.

But where is the autosave location on Windows? I see the scratchpad location on the General tab, the Backup tab and backup location, but nothing on the default save location for the content? I need to move this to my NAS.

Thanks a lot
Ian

Scrivener’s auto-save is just the same as a regular “Save”, i.e. it is just overwriting your current file. When you create your project, you choose where to save it; the default is Documents. Scrivener then creates the project’s .scriv folder and all the files for your project are then saved into that folder. If you need to move the project to a new location, just move that entire [ProjectName].scriv folder when the project is not open in Scrivener.

Slight edit. Thanks for taking the time for a response. I know exactly how saving files work, I’m fine with all that. However I’m trying to find where I can change the autosave location per project in the options.

Its kind of basic stuff this, but not obvious for some reason. I’m sure the developer has a reason for this or maybe I’m missing the obvious, hence the q.

Thanks

I think this is how it’s done, please correct me if I’m wrong. You move the actually sriv project folder/files from default to desired new location and then just open the project from with the software: File > Open > navigate to folder.

I think that’s it.

You seem to be conflating “autosave” with some other function, but since you’ve mentioned backups, I’m not sure what that other thing is. Scrivener’s autosave function is to save changes that are being made as you make them. By default, when you pause for 2 seconds, changes to your project are automatcially saved to disk in the same place where the original files are located, in the .scriv project folder.

The automatic backups are a separate matter. They are stored, by default, in a user settings folder, which can be easily found by going to Tools->Options->Backup. There’s a button to reveal the folder there, and you can also change the location, number of backups kept, whether to .zip compress the backups, and if the date & time should be appended to the project folder’s name during backup.

Also of note, do not keep your ‘live’ project on a NAS. As noted above, after a pause of just 2 seconds, and changes made to the project will be saved to disk. If you have any network issues at all, this could result in corruption of the project you’re working on at that moment. Better to set your backups to go to the NAS.

We’re over thinking this now guys. I never once said I had a problem with the process of autosave nor backups. The NAS is fine BTW for autosave which is set to 15 seconds on my Scrivener, it’s a powerhouse. Everything goes on the NAS and the NAS is also backed up.

The problem was when I set up Scrivener it was for a quick test initially, so I didn’t even notice where the main files (autosave) were located for the test project. They are as MimeticMounton said in User > Docs. I was looking for a Scivener folder, but it was actually under the project name instead so I missed it among the myriad of folders I have in there. It’s busy!

Traditionally in a Software > Options tab you have the ability to change the location of the main folder for the software, but not in Scrivener. I just found that odd. But as I said previously it’s probably done on purpose so people don’t mess and consequently increase support issues.

I just did as above. Moved the project file from User > Documents dumped on the NAS and then in Scrivener > File > Open > add said project.

Done and Done!

Thanks

Ah. Like Word, there’s no enforced location for user files, but once you choose a different location, new projects will default to that location on that computer.

Try simulating a network failure by unplugging your network cable while you’ve got a Scrivener project open on your NAS file share. Make a change or two to the project and wait for the autosave to kick in. Since Scrivener doesn’t load all of a project into RAM, it can’t save everything to an alternate location on your local machine while the network is down. Big problems could result from keeping your projects on a remote storage location as a result. The problems get smaller as the network glitches get shorter, but the risk is still there.

Gigabit network via Smart Switch, with SSD drives in the NAS. I also run nightly manual backups, so fingers crossed it will be fine. We’ll see what happens. Any issues I’ll move it back to local.

Thanks a lot