Autosave question

the individual docs; to make sure my file manager updates, I also change other files (with a plain text editor), the timestamps of these files are updated immediately.

wait. you’re windows. writes to thumb (those cheap ssd drives) are buffered to disk then background written to device. Effectively making no difference to you. if you had a real external drive you could try that.

what kind of sound are you getting? is it just fan noise or is it grinding (metal screeching)?

Both. But let me repeat that it also happens with other software at frequent autosave settings. It’s just that other software offers me better control over how often I want to save.

What if you watch a vid off the hard drive?

Or you could try running ckdisk to exercise the drive a tad. I think the association with autosave is coincidental to a larger hardware issue. Please make sure you are doing regular backups of all your critical data.

Also de-frag if you haven’t done that in a while. Scrivener is a bit more IO intensive than many programs, because it distributes data into many small files. This is part of what keeps it robust in a larger scale. One can have hundreds of megabytes, even gigabytes of data in their projects and auto-save, open, and shutdown will all remain very efficient and fast. But that kind of distribution also means more files are opening and closing on your drive, just even by clicking around the outline.

I have not noticed any fan problems on my underpowered netbook, which is taxed by Scrivener in general, with auto-save at the default frequency. I don’t think the problem is in root there, though of course auto-save frequency might be exacerbating some other problem. In fact, I get more fan activity with Word than I do with Scrivener.

That makes no sense.
This is not true on my Windows XP laptop. I tried it. Twice. Copying beaucoup MBs from an external eSata drive to a USB Flash drive shows no change in the laptop’s HD LED. Copying from the laptop’s HD to a USB Flash drive shows rhythmic blinking in sync with the USB Flash drive’s LED. So no buffering to disk before writing to a USB Flash drive. Just reads and writes buffered through main memory by the copy process like any other copy.

Right. When you exceed the buffer space it must be flushed.

Grapes vs. Watermelons