Back-Links for Document References - ?

Back in November of last year I submitted a question about ‘back-links’ for document references. It was my hope that they would be implemented because for me it was a handy way to associate characters and locations with a scene and vice-versa (i.e. drag a character name to the document reference panel and automatically create a neat cross reference of what characters are in each scene and in which scenes each character appears). After installing 1.2.3, it appears this function still is not included. However, it is my understanding that it is included in the Mac version of Scrivener. Can you let me know if in fact it is on the ‘to be included’ list? I’d like to go on record as lobbying for its inclusion. It seems like a relatively simple function to add (Of course, I realize, that may not be the case); and I know I (and I assume many other users) would find it extremely useful. If I’m missing the boat here, and it’s already implemented, or some better mechanism is available, please let me know.

Thanks again for Scrivener - the cream of the crop when it comes to writing software.

Dick

If you find a feature on the Mac that you like but cannot find an equivalent of on the PC, then you can safely assume it is already on the to-do list. We have no intention of crippling the PC version on purpose or anything nefarious like that. The only reason the PC version does not have 7.5 years of development behind it is because it has two years of development behind it. :slight_smile:

Many thanks for the response, although I sense a slight annoyance in your reply. I hope my post was not perceived as a complaint; it was merely an honest question. Believe me when I tell you, I am one of Scrivener’s biggest fans. The suite of functions provided in Scrivener (and I’m talking only about the Windows version) is simply unparalleled. No other product (that I know about) can touch it. I would truly be lost without it.

Thanks again,

Dick

Oh no, I was not irritated and did not mean to come across that way either. It’s that I had spent the day prior fielding several complaints along these lines and so I had probably exhausted myself with that; sorry about that. Glad to see you’re still get along well with the software!