Back matter

I would really like to see some functionality for back matter in Scrivener. I mean, it handles front matter well enough. How hard could it be to set something up for the end of your document?

Quite hard in terms of implementation, just as the front matter was pretty difficult to implement, if that’s what you mean. :slight_smile: The reason a front matter option was added but not a back matter option is that back matter tends to be the same across the various formats, whereas the front matter may require a different style of table-of-contents, and may require a cover image or not, depending on whether the export format is e-book, PDF, Word and so on. However, a “back matter” option is on the list of possibilities for a future version of Scrivener.

As an indie author, I’d like to see a back matter feature because I have several ebook back matter documents–book list, excerpt, Dear Reader letter–that are customized per retailer. So Kobo’s ePub has documents with links to my books/author page in the Kobo store, Amazon’s mobi has docs with Amazon links, etc. I feel it’s better for readers to be taken directly to the retailer’s page than be directed to my website and then have to click through to the appropriate retailer.

Right now I check/uncheck the documents as appropriate when I compile for each retailer.

Vanessa

Instead of ticking the “include in compile” check-boxes every time, try this:

Create a “Keyword” for each retailer.
Assign all of those keywords to the main manuscript documents & folders.
Assign the relevant keyword to each retailer-specific back matter document.
–Double check that you got them all by viewing the entire manuscript in Outliner view with the Keywords column enabled.
Create 1 saved search collection for each retailer keyword.
In the compile window, “Contents” pane, near the bottom, select Filter: Documents in Collection; [one of the saved search collections]
Turn the “include in compile” option to “on” for all of the back matter documents at once.

When you compile for a given retailer, choose the appropriate saved search…
OR
Create a custom compile preset for each retailer, to be used in every project where you apply this technique. You could even create a template for new projects which sets up the list of keywords, saved searches, and some templates for your various back matter documents so you only have to do the setup once.

… or , you know, you could just check/uncheck some checkboxes, but why do the simple thing when you can go crazy with all this nifty stuff? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, Robert. This time, the collection method worked. :slight_smile: I’d tried it before and somehow lost all of my folder hierarchy’s custom formatting during compile, so I’d discounted that as a viable method.

I’ve also saved the various compiles as presets.

That’s the difference between using collections as a filter (bottom of the contents pane) and as the compile group (top of the contents pane).

In other words, the group is the list of files AND the hierarchy you see when looking at that group. Since collections have no hierarchy, they only match the “level 1” and “level 1+” formatting settings. In contrast, the filter is a set of documents that are “on the invite list”, but hierarchy isn’t affected by that list.