Back to My Mac

Has anyone used the Back to My Mac Leopard feature with Scrivener?

I keep wanting to try it, but A) I’d have to upgrade my Powerbook G4 to Leopard and I’m not sure I want to (no particular reason other than it works fine the way it is), and B) I’d have to buy a new DSL router because the one I have, though it works ok, is way way old and doesn’t support the things Back to My Mac needs to work properly.

All that said, it still sounds like it would be fabulous to use if it all worked the way they say it does.

The only thing about Back To My Mac that makes me nervous is the fact that if someone unscrupulous got my .Mac password, they’d have access to everything on my computers…but maybe I’m just paranoid.

I could be wrong - I haven’t set it up yet - but I believe you also need to input the password for the computer you’re trying to access as well. So there is a double passworded logon. (Again, I think this is correct, but I haven’t done it so can’t speak from experience.)

The whole process needs more investigating on my end, but it sure looks like something that would be handy to have.

While I enjoy writing in coffee shops, the whole free wifi thing makes me wary. There’re a lot of built-in features for security on the Mac, I just have to figure out what they are and how to use them.

:smiley:

You don’t need to input the user account password - just the .mac login password. Of course, you do need to have set up BTMM access on the target machine first, and you shouldn’t be giving your .mac password out anyway…

I think the question would be “How would YOU use it?” If it offers all the features you want maybe look into it. I would probably wait a bit and let the bugs get worked out (maybe 10.5.2)

You can also get cheap Website space and just use an FTP client to “store” your files in a location that can be accessed anywhere an internet connection is made.

I would say it would depend on your overall use and features needed.

Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll probably wait 'til after the holidays just because I will have to buy new equipment to make it work and that’s always a hassle. From reading the Apple discussion forums, the most common issue is the router itself.

The wifi we have works with all our computers in the house - both Macs and PCs as well as Palms, iPhone, etc. - so messing with that is going to take more time than I want to devote to it right now.

I do need to do more research into it, though. antony, I’m hoping that while I don’t have to have the second sign-in, that I can set it up for extra security if I want to.

And Wock, you’re right. I do have to figure out how I’m going to use this feature. It just seems so cool to be able to do that. :wink: I’m betting that my waffling will let Apple get another update out the door before I actually do anything.

I don’t know this for sure, but what I’ve heard is that if you have your Mac’s password in the Keychain, you only need your .Mac password to access it. If you don’t have it in the Keychain, you’ll have to authenticate both passwords. But like I said, I don’t know this for certain.

@Khadrelt - that rings a bell, actually, so maybe you can set it up for that extra bit of security. I’d forgotten you don’t have to store everything in your keychain if you don’t want to…

My two cents.

Me personally, I don’t like the idea of having a connection from my computer open to the internet. I also don’t like the idea of having my sensitive data stored offsite by a third party.

Myself, I like to use an FTP site. One thing I might suggest you may want to look into is .Mac. iDisk may be right up your alley. YOu can mout your iDisk and store only the files you choose to have offsite. Backup important data, etc. Plus you get the other nifty bonus features with minimal hassle. PLUS you can access this with Older versions of OSX if I remember correctly so you wouldn’t have to upgrade your machines all to Leopard if you so choose. Simply “mount” your iDisk. COpy files to it just like a regular HD. At a different location and wish to work on a project. Access the internet. Mount your iDisk. COpy the files back to your local HD and make your corrections. Once you are done. Copy the modified file back to your iDisk and your done.

Just a thought. Something else you may wish to look into.