Back to previous doc functionality

I’m a Mac user, and I’d really like to the the Back and Forward document function have hotkeys created that correspond to Safari functionality. I’m almost 100% keyboard, and to navigate to “back” or “forward” docs, it’s instinctive for me to use CMD+[cursor left] and CMD+[cursor right] to navigate through my history.

This isn’t possible, because cmd-left and cmd-right are already in use by the text system (cmd-left takes you to the start and cmd-right to the end of the text). That’s not a big deal in Safari, where if a text field has the focus cmd-left and cmd-right work in that instead, because in Safari you aren’t likely to be using text fields all the time; in Scrivener, the chances are that most of the time the focus will be in the text, so it would be pointless having shortcuts that don’t work when the cursor is in the text area.

You can of course change any keyboard shortcut using the System Preferences though.

And incidentally, Cmd-[ and ] are fairly standard browser navigation shortcuts—even on Windows (with a different modifier of course). Pretty much any web browser supports using those keys for back and forward, so it wouldn’t hurt to learn Scrivener’s default as that mechanical memory will be useful elsewhere. Another advantage to these keys is that you needn’t leave the home row to use them. Maybe you are on a laptop though, where the arrows are closer by, but on a standard keyboard the arrow keys are so far off you almost might as well just go for the mouse.

If you take a look at the History menu in Safari, you will see that the “standard” back and forward keys are Cmd-[ and Cmd-]. This is the same in the Finder (and a few other programs I’ve come across). If I were to choose to assign shortcuts in Scrivener I’d use those instead of left and right arrows. But then again I haven’t got into the habit of using left and right – indeed, I was a bit surprised to learn from the post that you could use them for that.

Best, Martin.

Edit: Sorry to repeat what Ioa said – we must have been typing at more or less the same time. On my UK keyboard the [ and ] keys are between P and CR.