Back up...

… back up, back up:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/bonfire-of-the-first-editions-author-loses-lifes-work-in-garden-shed-fire-7646612.html

I reacted similarly (with laughter and jokes bordering on the hysterical), when I was awakened by police to find my parked car (along with 3 others on the street) had been all but totaled by a drunk driver of a stolen vehicle. The poor man.

This does put the perspective on the worries some have over Drop Box however. You can’t sue a fire for destroying your work like you can a thief/company for distributing it.

As a tech support person for my day job I cannot recomend backing up your work enough. If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me “but what about my daughters homework?” Or even lost their dissertation two weeks before submission date. :open_mouth:

We say any personal data you dont have two copies of is data you don’t care about.

I cannot agree more with the “backup your stuff” line. I have Dropbox, Google Drive, Backblaze, and Time Machine on my Mac, as well as 2 32BG USB flash drives. Call me paranoid, but I like knowing my work will be safe.

I keep copies of the sci-fi story I’m working on in Scrivener on Dropbox, along with backups to my local drive, and to a thumb drive.

The rule of thumb I hear is that to really keep important data save, you should have it on three separate devices. Your local hard drive counts as one, a thumb-drive also counts, and Dropbox counts.