Back ups without stopping writing?

I actually would do much more back ups while writing but you can’t even just do one without stop writing and waiting until the back up is finished. One has to stop writing while the back up is done, about 20 to 60 or even more seconds.

And often there is no message that a back up is done. How could one know the back up really is done then? Or how could Scrivener ALWAYS show a message?

Simply, look to see if where you have specified backups to go, and see if they are there.

How are you doing your backups?

Scrivener has an optional backup mechanism (Mac Menu: Preferences → Tab: Backup … might be different in Windows?). I have mine to setup on Project Open and again on Project Close. The backup location is outside the folder structure where the projects are stored. I store my Scrivener backups (which are zip files) in ~\Backups\Scrivener\

You have Windows. I presume and hope you are doing some sort of automated full-system backup running mostly continuously.

I use Apple MacTime Machine for automated full system backup to external disks (plural), and I have a Chronosync task that backups important files (including the Scrivener backup zip files) to an external drive, runs every hour picking up incremental changes. I do not remember what the Windows equivalent is for that app. Explore. If you really want very frequent backups without stopping your writing, get something like Chronsync that can run at intervals you like backing up the Scrivener projects folder(s). It will catch each of the “saves” to the source file.

Further, do not confuse the automated “save” that Scrivener does on your individual project’s file with backups. Default is set to “save” when there is 2-seconds of inactivity by you. I recommend you keep it there.

For pure writing without a lot of research files will backup very quickly, I use backup to a different hard drive on computer and to dropbox. Can always do optional backup off computer when take a break. Scrivener does automatic backups every two seconds. If lots of graphic research consider setting up a research project to accompany writing project to speed backup. When do backup on my first book (starting to edit) the 132000 words backs up in under 10 seconds and can see the progress bar if watch. I don’t backup till done for the day. How often during a writing session do you want to back up to separate location?

Scrivener does file saves on (by default) 2 seconds of writer’s inactivity on any files needing to be saved (as understand). It does not do these saves every 2 seconds nor are they “backups”.

Many thanks.

Yes, there are an infinite number of ways to make backups, I guess. But I just would like to manually do it with Scrivener to a zip file while writing by just pressing CTRL+S when I feel to want to back up without having to wait for the backup to finish.

Simply, look to see if where you have specified backups to go, and see if they are there.

Well, actually I do not want to go to a folder each time I did a back up to see if it is there. A message shown ALWAYS would be very good, just to get to know if the back up is done (properly) or not. Without further ado. So I just could go on writing. I do not want to care about doing back ups all the time. Just doing a single key press.

How are you doing your backups?

By pressing CTRL+S.

How often during a writing session do you want to back up to separate location?

I assume, as often as I feel to have to do one, according to the amount of new text / edits done since the last back up.

Sorry meant to say after 2 seconds of inactivity will do a backup.

Still not correct😉

it will save the files saved since last save. it is not a backup of anything.

Ctrl-S does not create a backup unless you have explicitly configured the “backup on manual save” option.

When Scrivener creates a backup, you’ll see a “creating backup” pop-up window. How long this window remains visible will depend on the size of the project, the speed of your hard disk, and so on. If you are not seeing that window, either a backup is not being created (likely if you’re using Ctrl-S), or the project is tiny.

“Making a backup without waiting for the backup to finish” is not really possible. While Scrivener is creating the backup, it will lock the file and prevent editing. That’s for your own safety, as otherwise it would be possible to corrupt the backup.

When Scrivener creates a backup, you’ll see a “creating backup” pop-up window.

Well, well, but sometimes I do not. I ALWAYS want to see a confirmation.

If you are not seeing that window, either a backup is not being created (likely if you’re using Ctrl-S), or the project is tiny.

Well well, perhaps projects at the beginning always are tiny, not big. And I want back them up even then anyway. And I would like to know whethter it is created or not. And when there is no message I just do not know it.

“Making a backup without waiting for the backup to finish” is not really possible.

But it is, even in Scrivener. I can go on writing in such a reference window or how ever it is called.

That’s for your own safety, as otherwise it would be possible to corrupt the backup.

My own safety? Sounds odd. Actually I assumed that nothing would break on a back up. May be it is possible to do a back up while writing without currpting files. Does that mean the files / a file can get corrupt when one goes on writing in that reference (or whatever) window?

How can one edit postings here?

Let me clarify. The message always appears. But if the project is tiny – and takes less time to backup – then it appears and disappears before you notice it.

Sorry, may be I do not understand at all, sounds extremely strange, but what sense does a message make that appears and disappears before one notices it? When I cannot see the message I think the back up is not made.

The message is showing the progress of the backup. If the backup completes quickly, then the message disappears quickly.

I’m not sure I see the problem: the alternative would be to provide a larger interruption, for instance by forcing you to acknowledge the message to make it go away.

As noted upthread, you can check your disk whenever you like to make sure backups are being made.

The project open backup is a duplicate of the previous project close, so I wouldn’t waste space on it.

This is not necessarily true if the project is synchronized across multiple devices.

ok. i do as disk space cheap.

For me it’s always true. Even in the case you’re talking about, IMHO it’s a bit soon to need a backup of the version we just opened, and the other device does include a duplicate.

I’m not sure I see the problem:

Still not? How is this possible? Very odd. The problem is that there sometimes or often the back up message is not shown so one does not know if the back up is done.

the alternative would be to provide a larger interruption, for instance by forcing you to acknowledge the message to make it go away.

Why is that the alternative? I would think an alternative would be to just ALWAYS show a message without providing any interruption and not sometimes showing a message and sometimes not. Sorry, it all sounds so pointless. Or am I missing anything? Why not just show a message ALWAYS as it is usual in any other program?

As noted upthread, you can check your disk whenever you like to make sure backups are being made.

Can’t get any more pointless it seems. Why not just show ALWAYS a message? Are there more or all of the messages in Scrivener sometimes shown and sometimes not?

Again, the message is always shown. It’s just that if the project is small, it disappears before you notice it. To ensure that it’s on the screen long enough to notice, we would need to require the user to actively dismiss it.

Edit: Although, see the note upthread. By default, a manual save (Ctrl-S) does not create a backup. Checking that option is more relevant to your actual goal than arguing about progress bars.

1 Like