Backing up Scrivener with Time Machine ?

Hello.
When I try to check up that Time Machine is correctly backing up my Projects. I go to the exterior hard disc which is where Time Machine operates, and click on the relevant Scrivener folder that I find there. Up comes a Scrivener " Could not open project window The project is not writable. Scrivener does not support read-only projects. O/K "
Then it sends another window with a yellow exclamation mark stating The document “Writings about art August 2007 [28_Aug_2007_13_53].scriv” could not be opened. The project is not writable. Scrivener does not support read-only projects. O/K
Then notwithstanding these alarm messages, it does produce Scrivener and there is the latest writing.
I am not however certain whether I have been sent back to my main hard disc? Also has the back up worked ?
Does that make sense?
Hope you can help.
Robin. :unamused:

I am pretty sure Time Machine tries to limit your access to its backups through Finder, which is why you only get read only access to the files if you try to open them up through Finder.

However, if you enter the Time Machine and try to restore the files through that interface, Time Machine will restore your files with the correct permissions and your file can be opened as normal. You can test if the backup is working by doing this and choosing to keep both files when you are asked what to do with the original file.

In a nutshell - don’t worry, this is Time Machine’s way of doing your backup, and most likely your file is being backed up correctly. There is nothing in the scrivener project file that Time Machine shouldn’t manage to spot & copy.

f.

Thank you chefpogo.
Much obliged and now relatively anxiety free.
Robin.