Backing up to a remote server

I am able to back up the .scriv files to an external drive. However, I would like to back up my files to a secure server–impenetrable, safe, drug-free.

Is this possible? When I attempt to upload, the .scriv files are not available.

I am not sure what that means. You cannot find your project files whenever you try to upload? What sort of FTP client (or whatever) are you using?

As an aside, I’d recommending using the Backup Project feature in the file menu. This not only automatically date-stamps the file (very handy for backups) but provides an option to zip archive the project file as well. That will mostly likely dramatically reduce upload times, and it is also a safer way to keep your project as it transitions off of your Mac. Zip files are just a long binary number that is the same no matter where you store it. Scrivener projects are going to look like folders on remote systems, and contains hundreds or even thousands of small files.

Such a server does not exist. If a system is on a network it is tainted by simply being able to be reached. The best you could hope for is “more secure” which by necessity requires lots of definition†.

Sorry.

[size=75]† Which would in turn make it easier to answer the question[/size]

“When I attempt to upload, the .scriv files are not available.”

Just means that the files appear, but are not bold, not available to be selected for upload.

Best,
Bede

.scriv is an OSX package (a fancy directory). It seems your upload software of choice does not support packages for transfer.

The bigger question is what do you mean by more secure? any system that is connected to the net is tainted by being connected. Hence you can not meet “impenetrable” and still upload files to it. This seems like a pedantic argument, but my definition of secure and your are very likely different.

That said there are secure services for file repository. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. A highly secure (privacy and integrity) service will not be cheap by my standards. And access will be considered a PITA by most folks.

Accept Amber. She would consider 3 factor auth, secure ID, and ssh over IPSEC a starting point. But then she is not “most folks”.

To reiterate: You should always use the zip option when saving backup projects for upload to net services. It’ll save space and make reasonably sure the project doesn’t get corrupted due to the transmission of hundreds or thousands of files, some of which might not sit well on a non-Mac drive. If the tool cannot upload zip files than I’m not sure what you can do. That would be awfully restrictive, however, and likely indicate that the service is intended for something very specific and not a general backup storage.

And of course, everything Jaysen is saying is true. I don’t know what your requirements are, but if you are in need of secure backups which contain confidential or classified information, there are much better things that can be done than a net services. CD-ROMs in a safe in your office is probably going to be better than that. If you just don’t want random people snooping on your data, then this kind of protection is adequate. I use this analogy for digital security: If you don’t have any kind of signing or encryption, you are using postcards anyone can read it and you’ll likely never know, consider it done. Encryption, signing, authenticating servers—that gives you an envelope. The average postal worker isn’t going to sneak a peak, if a neighbour accidentally gets it they won’t read the back. But an envelope isn’t going to stop anyone that is determined to steal your information, and the clever sneaks will do it in such a way that your “envelope” won’t even look tampered with. So as long as you aren’t MI-6, CIA or something, you’re probably fine—but then if you are you probably don’t need this speech!

Any computer not ever connected to the Internet (and all hardware which could allow it, removed) is going to be dramatically more secure than whatever service you are paying for online. Likewise goes for any media which is stored in a vault.

If all you need is an envelope, carry on. Just use zip files as recommended.

Thank you both.