A few days ago I did some structural work on my manuscript on my iMac, adding ‘PARTS’ and embedded empty chapter folders as well as many notes throughout . I closed scrivener. The next day, I opened the manuscript on my MacBook pro, and none of the changes appeared (the first time this has happened - I am a new Scrivener user, but I have been working almost daily with it).
I opened it on my iPhone Scrivener app, and encountered the same problem. Naturally, I was a little panicky (though I am double and triple backing everything up), but I had to wait to get home to check my iMac - and was surprised, when I did, to have the manuscript pull up with all my changes intact… I tried loading the manuscript into the other devices directly from Dropbox, but the material was still missing.
So I can only guess that my iMac is loading the manuscript from the local dropbox app, whereas my other devices are getting the older, unchanged copy from the dropbox server/site (or from their local dropbox app copies that match the dropbox server’s.) I am going to delete the dropbox version and replace it with the most recent version (that, as part of my backup process, I had emailed myself prior to discovering the problem) which will get me up and running again, but you can understand how disconcerting this is - had I made minor changes within the body of writing, I may never have noticed the anomaly.
I really need help getting to the bottom of this - my trust of Scrivener has been deeply shaken… I loooooooove all the functionality and the layout of the app, but if I can’t rely on it to faithfully back my work up, all that suddenly becomes irrelevant. It’s not useful to me if I have to check every change I make, large or small, across all devices and on the dropbox server, not to mention continuing to make double and triple backups (as I have always done with Word).