Backup no longer working


The backup function is no longer working. When I close a project, I get the following error message:

"A backup could not be created at ‘/Users/taylor/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Backups/’.

Zipped backup failed with error: dyld: shared cached file was build against a different libSystem.dylib, ignoring cache"

I recently upgraded to 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. I have also moved the location of my project folders from one folder to a different one (but I did not change any of the backup settings). Thus, I’m not sure what might have triggered this error. Backups were working like a charm under 2.0. I’m running OS X 10.6.5.



PS – The new scrivenings dividers are great – thanks!

Someone else had this issue but Ioa dealt with it, so hopefully - if it was resolved - Ioa may have some idea about this one. One thing to note, though, is that Scrivener just calls on the system zip utility to zip up backups. It’s exactly the same as if you opened the Terminal app and typed “zip myproject.scriv”. If the system utility returns an error, Scrivener presents that to the user. So, under the hood, this error is being generated by your Mac’s zip utility rather than by Scrivener itself.

Googling this problem, one thing you might try:

Open the Terminal (from ~/Applications/Utilities) and type:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

Press enter, type in your admin passsword, press enter again, then wait for the prompt to return.

Caveat: I have never tried this and this is from a quick Google, so I strongly recommend Googling “update_dyld_shared_cache” and checking that this advice is good and won’t do any harm to your computer, as I have never done this. The “sudo” command is something you have to be very careful with in general, I believe - another user may be able to give advice on this though.

All the best,
Keith … c_sudo.jpg :exclamation:

Many thanks. After a little more research on “sudo update_dyld_shared_cache,” I ran the command in Terminal and backups are now working again.

Thank you!


Great, glad it worked!