Backup on close not working

Hi,

When I select “Backup on close” in the preferences no backup is create when I close the project nor when I close Scrivener. However when I select “Backup on open” or “Backup on each manual save” they both work as advertised. I get the same behaviour whether compression is turned off or on.

Scrivener: 2.4.1 Appstore version and same behaviour with the trial version

Many thanks,
Joel

Hi Joel,

I can’t reproduce this, I’m afraid. To start with the simple, have you definitely made changes in the project before closing? Backups are only made if changes are made.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Sorry not to reply sooner but I was waiting to get a notification that the post has been replied to. Guess that does not happen automatically in this forum.

Today I created a new project and figured I would try the save again on that one. Sure enough it worked fine. Went back and tried it on my first project and that also works now.

And yes I did make sure the project changed. I worked on trying this that and the other thing for half an hour before giving up and going to manual save.

Sigh… I hate gremlins ;-(

Many thanks,
Joel

Hi Joel,

I think you have to subscribe to a thread to get email notifications of replies. (It’s standard PHPBB forum software and I’m no expert.)

Could you please keep an eye on it and let me know if it happens again? We haven’t had any other reports of this, so it must be something particularly obscure. If happens again, please fire up the Console (from /Applications/Utilities - Console.app) and look to see if there are any error messages there pertaining to Scrivener. Also look for any particular trigger if it happens more than once, and let me know.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Actually, Keith, you have had a report on this glitch. I had the same problem a year or more ago. Backup on close simply stopped working. I hadn’t made any changes in preferences or working methods. Then it started working again. This seems to be a very random problem, and I suspect that it may happen without anyone noticing because it usually isn’t necessary to check backups.

Are you running any kind of third-party backup software? Sometimes those can cause strange interactions with Scrivener.

I haven’t seen any reports of something like this specifically, but it’s the only thing I can think of that might make your machine a special case.

Katherine