Bad Presentation of Document With Ruler Changes

First document in a project is an “epigram”. On my Mac the document has a non-standard ruler; the first line margin and left margin are positioned at around 5.74" and 5.75" (I’ll adjust them later–clearly my hand wobbled when moving the mouse) with the standard tab stop settings and spacing. When the document is displayed on iOS that epigram

i s a l l s h u n t e d h a r d t o t h e r i g h t

and as in the example has no spaces (displayed) within the text.

Unfortunately, this is unavoidable given the rich text system and certain device sizes. The problem is that the left margin at over 5" means that the first letters of the line start so far across that there is no room for more than one letter to be displayed on each line on a narrow screen (I’m assuming this is on an iPhone; on iPads there is usually enough space, although 5.75" is quite large, so it might cause issues on some iPads too). You’d get the same effect if you pasted the text into TextEdit on the Mac and then resized the window so that it was quite narrow.

Given that this is how the text system renders text with an indent that spans the width of the available space, there’s not much I can do on my end. The rich text system means that in order to display it differently, I would have to change the underlying formatting (the data of the text itself), which obviously would not be desirable, as it would then look different when you returned to your Mac. On macOS, technically one solution would be to write a custom typesetter that handles text layout and drawing itself rather than using Apple’s code (although you can imagine how huge a job that would be); on iOS, even that hardcore solution is not available, because the typesetter object is not accessible to developers on iOS yet.

Oh well. I’ll live with it then.

I’m using an iPad 2 (always in landscape orientation). But I have zoomed the text out as the default rendering is too small for comfort.