Basic question

Very frustrated - assumed it would be easy to transfer my document from Scrivener to Word but apparently not! All sorts of changes come when I’ve tried it. Need to send a draft to my PhD supervisor. Really hope I haven’t been wasting my time using Scrivener? :neutral_face:

Well noted your frustration, how can we help you?
What precisely is happening that doesn’t work per your expectations? :slight_smile:

Well if I cut and paste, then things get changed round like the figures and diagrams. When I compile it, there’s stuff that goes beyond the margins of the Word document. Hopefully there is a simple straightforward way?

Can anyone help? Need to get this draft off today if possible! Can’t see the point in using Scrivener if it’s not easy to send people stuff :neutral_face:

I’ve got that problem kind of sorted, just two issues now - how do I adjust the settings so it doesn’t indent all the paragraphs and headings? Also changes italics to underlining? And how do I compile one part of the document at a time - do I need to put it in a separate folder?

Good to hear; I would have come back to you, but I’ve never used compile nor export myself; In addition, I am using a mac…
I was hoping that once your question was clear, someone else would jump in :slight_smile:

In the compile window that pops up, there’s a blue arrow. Click it to expand the window and the options you can access.

To get rid of paragraphs indents, and to adjust paragraph spacing so you’ll be able to see where one paragraph ends and the next begins, go to the Formatting section. Each row there represents some part of your binder’s organization. Find the right one, and a preview will show how the compiled output will look on the page. Click the “Modify” button and make adjustments to the ruler, and for the paragraph spacing, click on the drop-down that likely has “2.0x” or “1.0x” or similar displayed there. Paragraph spacing is accessed by choosing “More…” from that drop-down. The Transformations section deals with converting italics to underline and other similar things.

Before your next deadline, I’d highly recommend you go through the Interactive Tutorial (Under Help). Once you’ve done that, fiddle with your compile settings well before you have something to turn in, so that you aren’t trying to figure something out at the eleventh hour. Scrivener’s approach to text formatting is vastly different from your typical word processor, so you should give yourself enough time to adjust before relying on it as your primary output generator.

Thanks, was hoping Scrivener would be more intuitive - wasn’t wanting to spend a lot of time learning how to use it. How can I compile just one chapter without splitting the project up?

In the Contents section, there’s a drop-down that defaults to your Manuscript folder. Select it and navigate to the chapter file/container, and compile that.

There’s “intuitive”, and then there’s “familiar”. You (and the vast majority of word processor users) are not accustomed to this way of producing text documents, and there isn’t any other long-form document production software for Scrivener to be modeled after. They’re working on reorganizing the compile window, but it may be a while in coming to a released version of Scrivener. But even with a reorganized Compile dialogue, you’re still going to need to learn a few things; it’s the trade-off that happens when a program gives you freedom to organize your writing how you want/need to.

But you don’t have to learn it all at once! The Interactive Tutorial is just another project, in that you can close it part way through and then re-open it and pick up where you left off.

I was doing that, and it wasn’t working, but I changed something in the formatting bit and it’s working now! Yes, clearly need to invest a little time reading the manual, even though it is contrary to my nature! :smiley: