Basic Windows system requirements

Hi

I have Windows machines, but even my laptop is big and uses power fast. So, I’m thinking of buying a small laptop that would be primarily for writing using Scrivener and Scapple. I do like the MacBook Air. I have an iPad I enjoy for a number of things. But I do most of my more serious computing in Windows, and I think working back and for between Windows and iOS is just asking for needless frustration. So, I’m thinking of a small, good batter life (therefore more portable) Windows machine I can drag around, and also be able to work on my writing in a bigger environment some of the time.

What I can’t find, is what are basic system requirements in a windows environment? Eight megs of RAM is cheaper, but Windows uses a lot of that. I assume an i5 processor is plenty.

What do Scrivener and Scapple need in sys requirements so that the system doesn’t interfere with the writing process? Suggestions appreciated.

Janice

My Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd gen runs Scrivener & Scapple perfectly fine, with these specs:

8 GB RAM
500 GB SSD
Windows 10
14" FHD (1920 x 1080) @ 125% scaling

By the way, heed this requirement: Minimum display resolution 1024x768px. I’ve seen posters here working with smaller screen laptops, who have set their scaling high, and end up having trouble with certain fixed size Scrivener panels fitting on their screen! (The Compile panel, the Options panel.) The problem is their high scaling value combined with their small screen footprint & low resolution spec results in an unsupported effective resolution.

For example, my 1920 x 1080 monitor @ 125% scaling is sufficient for Scrivener. At 150% scaling, the File > Options panel just barely fits vertically on the screen. Any scaling setting higher than 150% wouldn’t work.

Best,
Jim

3 Likes

Thanks Jim! Just the sort of advice I hoped for!

Janice

1 Like