Basics & text box

I’m writing a document for some friends that is going to end up similar to a glossary. However things tend to get complicated fast and I may need to move things around a bunch.

I would like to transition to Scriviner and Multimarkdown may be what I need to format this. I would like each Scriviner Section to have its title placed into the document and have its formatting dependent on what level the section is when the document is compiled. In addition the following paragraphs should be indented somewhat. I would also like to be able to add text boxes to the document to define some specific/complicated terms. There may be need for a section without a title, to go back an indent level.

Everything I have found seems to talk like I already know what I’m doing. Can someone point me to what I need to do to get this working? I’m currently using Scriviner for iOS to do most of the writing and Scriviner 2 for Mac to compile the document. I’m trying to be cheap and not upgrade to Scriviner 3, but if 2 lacks the features I will upgrade.

As an advocate for the Markdown-based approach to writing, of course I’ll agree that it would be a good choice for this project, but that aside I think if you are going to get into things like text boxes and such—it’s a good choice for this project. :wink:

It’s rather difficult to answer your questions since some of them are rather complicated in their premise and would require a bespoke workflow to be developed for them. For example neither MultiMarkdown, Pandoc nor Scrivener has any concept of what a “text box” is. You can absolutely make them (see the user manual, which is a Scrivener + MultiMarkdown + LaTeX project), but since there isn’t a standard way of doing so, the solution will likely be very specific to what you need.

So maybe it would help to know at what point you are in the learning process. Have you gone through the user manual chapter on MultiMarkdown?

Assuming you mean the heading level changes depending on the outline depth in the binder—yeah that’s easy to do. You should check off the “Title” box in the Formatting compile option pane for the elements in the outliner that should have titles. With MMD you don’t have to worry about formatting the levels, Scrivener will create depth-dependent headings automatically.

That’s not really something Markdown concerns itself with. You don’t format with this writing style—you mark up text with meaning. Formatting comes later, depending on the target file type—and depending on that, sometimes formatting instructions can be stored in the MMD file Scrivener creates, meaning automatically formatted output. For example you can put CSS right into the document, or with Pandoc, create a Word template file used to design the output.

With Scrivener 2, you’d click the Compile As-Is checkbox in the inspector to suppress any automatic headings that the Formatting pane would otherwise have added. In Scrivener 3, which is type based instead of indent level based, you’d create a Section Type called “Untitled Section” or something, and then set those kinds of documents to simply not print a heading in the compile settings.

In case you are unaware, there is a hefty upgrade discount.

Ideally: I would say Scrivener 3 is far beyond v2 for Markdown-based writing—particularly when you get into stuff like text boxes and custom ranges of text. But I would say where it excels is in pushing beyond the basics. The basics are all there in v2! I wrote the user manual for that as well, using the same combination of tech. It wasn’t as nice as the project I have for the v3 manual by a long shot, but you can check out the PDF and see that I’m doing all of the stuff you want to do.

Granted that is LaTeX, which is certainly not where I would suggest beginning if one wants an easy learning path. :slight_smile: But it is powerful, and the results look professionally done in my opinion.

By the way the user manual project is available for examination, on this page. However at this point in time they are all in v3 format, so that won’t be useful to you as a v2 reference. If you really want, I could put the old v2 user manual project online for you.