Beats within a Scene in a US Stageplay

I would like to track each beat in a scene as a separate document, because I want to have the ability to move the beats easily and have the document notes specific to that beat.

I would like to create a folder for each scene in an act and place the beat docs within the scene folders.

Problem: each beat doc starts with ACT # and SCENE # at the top with Page Break. I know how to remove the page break.

I do not know how to remove the ACT # and SCENE # from the beat doc and add them to the scene folder.

Thank you.

Hi,

You need to play with the “Formatting” pane of Compile - ACT # and SCENE # are added in the “Title Settings”. You will need to adjust whereabouts they appear, and probably adjust the formatting pane so that it better reflects the structure you are using.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

ACT [N]
SCENE [N]

Are in the scene template. I do not want to screw up the Stageplay setting for the other elements.

How do I add the above to a folder for Scene and remove them from the individual docs that make up the beats?

Thank you,
Lloyd

Sorry, ignore last - I’m frantically coding ready for Lion at the moment so didn’t get time to look at the template, but just checked. ACT [N] etc are in the “Scene” document, whereas I was thinking they were defined in Title Settings. Instead, try something like this:

As you can see, for my “Scene” document I just leave in “ACT [N] SCENE [N]” and nothing else (with no return character afterwards). Then I write my beats in the “Beat” documents, which are created as subdocuments of the scene document (they don’t have to be subdocuments - they could appear directly underneath - but I think it works better that way).

Then, in the “Separators” pane of “Compile”, make sure you change the “Text Separator” to “Single return”, to prevent an extra line being inserted between the scene heading and beats etc.

That’s all you should need to do.

All the best,
Keith

P.S. The set description could equally be placed in the “Scene” document, by the way.

Thanks I was trying that. I did not know about the Separators pane. Thank you.
Best to you always,
Lloyd

Also Keith,

did you just remove the

ACT [N]
SCENE [N]

from the beat docs or did you adjust the compile formatting?

Thank you,
Lloyd

I just removed it. So for my scene docs I have ACT [N]… in there, and the beat docs stay entirely empty. The only compile option you should need to change is the separators one.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks again. Good luck with the Lion programming.
Lloyd