... becomes a smiling face

I updated to scrivener 1.5 and was on my merry way when i typed … and on the third dot got transformed into some kind of code symbol. Is this a scrivener thing or is some other thing working to stop me from indicating… pause a moment.
thanks

Standard in many word-processing apps and on by default in Scrivener, replacing three full-stops with a suspension-points character. Personally, I can’t think why you’d want to, but if you don’t like it, you can turn it off in the pane.

:slight_smile:

Mark

It shouldn’t be a smiley face, though…

You might be missing whatever font Apple uses for that symbol, and your base font has something that looks like a smiley face for its “missing character” symbol. Ordinarily, it should just look like three dots—just a bit closer together than three full stops.

It is a feature.

Three exclamation marks in a row (!!!) also becomes a frowny face, because no one likes to be shouted at.

Similarly, three question marks (???) becomes :confused:

It is part of the new, more expressive standard manuscript format for the MSN generation - they need a little help, because they can’t be sure if they are reading a romance or a tragedy until they see a sideways frowny face.

Matt

thanks, problem solved it was the font - courier final draft.