Before I found Scrivener...

I was using the iPad app Outliner from carbonlib to create my notes and chapters for a book I am writing. My intent is to publish the book in online format only and while I have yet to decide how many formats I want to prepare it will probably start with the ePub format to make it available in iBooks.
To date I have been satisfied with being able to jot down thoughts and some text in Outliner and I like that there is an easy sync option between my iPad and iPhone. I have also been able to save the files and work in pages, but that’s weher the publishing stops right now. I’ve been through about an hours worth of the Scrivener tutorial and it’s looking like the real deal for my purposes, and I’m prepared to make the switch but I have a few questions before proceeding.

1. has anyone used an outliner (like Outliner) and successfully imported their file into Scrivener? Tips?

2. i see talk of an iPad Scrivener app…mbut can’t find it in the AppStore… Is it not available yet? If it is I wouldn’t be using it for the actual authoring features, but mainly for doing as I’m doing now… Jotting down thoughts, ideas, links etc as I get them… Meaning when I usually have my iPad handy (almost always). It sounds like this would be the cork board feature… Is there an autosync in the upcoming (or existing) app that would make this a seamless experience?

3. is the process a simple one to take the final Scrivener draft to an ePub creator (like iBooks Author) to allow integration of video clips and widgets, or is this possible from within Scrivener?

Looking forward to using Scrivener soon!

1. I believe Outliner for iPad supports OPML export (if not on the device, in sync, but you’d have to look that up, I’m really not familiar with the program beyond the basics, I just did a quick ’net search and it seemed positive), and Scrivener also supports this format transparently. You can just drag an OPML file into the project Binder and it will reproduce your indented outline, and if the program that generated the file uses the tradition of storing extra notes (beyond the heading, not sure if Outliner supports that concept to begin with) then those notes can be imported into Scrivener as well, following the instructions in the Import/Export preference pane.
  2. Our iOS version is still in development, we are getting very close to having more details about the release, so stay tuned—if you want to keep in the loop, you’ll find a “Keep Up To Date…” command in your Scrivener help menu that you can use to sign up to our announcement list (it’s very low volume, only a few messages per year go out). And yes, it will have a corkboard, as well as an outliner. :slight_smile:
  3. Yes, we have a dedicated export function for iBooks Author (using “chapter files” in .docx format), but you should be aware that it also imports ePub files directly now. So there are really two ways out of Scrivener if that is your production tool. This of course also means we produce ePub directly. For simple formatting (no videos and whatnot) it’s very high quality in my opinion. Plenty of people publish straight out of Scrivener using it.

Be sure to grab our free demo! You can use it for 30 days for free (and you can spread that out however you need to, it’s not 30 days from when you first installed).

Thanks Amber
Its sounding better all the time.

Now to the next question… The notes I have been making in Outliner are for what I thought was going to be a single edition… however like most everything else it has grown beyond its initial concept. As a result I will probably be publishing 3, perhaps 4 different eBooks.

In the Tutorial there are various Parts within one Draft. Would it be better if I had 4 separate drafts, one for each eBook? Or would one draft with 4 different Parts be a better solution?

That stuff is mostly up to you, I cannot give you a definitive answer. If the books are closely related you may benefit from keeping them all in one project. The software was originally designed around the idea of one project being one single work, but it’s absolutely possible to use it to gather multiple works together. You’ll find threads on this topic in the forum if you want to look up some hints. There is even a case study on our main home page about it: Using Scrivener to Manage Serial Novels.

You’ll probably learn this soon enough, but the Draft folder is special. You can only have one of them per project, and it is the central location where you do your writing. In most cases, it is what will become your “document” when you export. In cases where you have multiple books in one project, most people prefer to keep book level folders at the top level in the Draft, or they’ll just swap out one book’s outline for another when switching to the next book.

There are very few “rules” in this program. In general, my advice is: just try it. :slight_smile: Chances are you can do what you want because it uses a tool-based approach, rather than forcing you into dedicated features like “parts” and “chapters”.

Keep in mind another aspect of its flexibility is that you can split and merge projects rather easily. You don’t have to make a decision about this right now.